Chapter 6

Kuro continued on his journey with the wounds and pain becoming unbearable to go on any further but he pushed himself with newfound hope and desires. He thought of Alba and his family.. He hoped maybe.. those dog catchers did take Zorro and Rona to a shelter where they are living in a family happily, while he had been living alone on the streets, surviving for a long time. 

Today, the sun was scorching hot and his paws were burning on the hot ground every time he stepped. His body was becoming dehydrated.. He needed to find water and fast! He sniffed the air and caught a scent.. The smell of a lake but it was very distant.. It was a big risk to try to make it in time but with his last bit of energy, he raced as fast as he could to get to the lake. 

A long winding road appeared down the hill near the lake.. As he raced down the hill, he could not stop himself from getting out onto the road with a moving truck.. Pain shot through his body and he could see blackness all around him.. What is happening!?  He thought as he could hear voices getting closer and his limp body lifted up as he passed out.. 

**** 

A young man with black hair, light skin and blue eyes was driving a truck with his girlfriend. She was a cute brown haired, brown eyed young girl who was enjoying her journey with him. 

"I would rather go to my own wedding with you.." The boy quietly told the girl, making her giggle. 

"It is my sister's wedding. I can't miss it.. Although I am happy that you are coming with me, Ezekiel.." The girl replied with an innocent voice, grinning. Ezekiel let out a slight smile too while blushing. 

Their happiness subsided as they saw the big black dog come out onto the road and a loud thud sounded with a yelp.. The young girl screamed in shock, seeing blood appear on the windscreen. Ezekiel's truck swerved to the side as the dog got hit and he stopped his vehicle quickly to get out.. His girlfriend stepped out of the truck too, worried about the dog. 

"Is the dog ok!?" She shouted, crying. Ezekiel was kneeling beside the dog and lifted it up carefully. 

"He is barely breathing so we must take him to the vets right away. Get in the truck now, Johanna!" Ezekiel spoke in a strict tone, frowning. 

Johanna immediately obeyed, hoping that the dog will be ok. Ezekiel placed the poor, limp animal in the back of the truck and quickly rushed to the nearby vets, speeding.. Although as they were driving through the city, a police car started to chase him.. 

"Oh damn! Johanna you will have to take the dog into the vets.." He muttered, frustratedly. She nodded, still crying but more softly now. When Ezekiel stopped in front of the vets, the officer also stopped and got out of the vehicle while Johanna grabbed the dog. It was heavy for her but she managed to bring it in and shouted that it was an emergency. Nurses and veterinarians came to the animal's aid and took it into the back. He was still barely alive. 

"Where did you find the dog and what happened?" One of the nurses at reception asked. 

"W-we accidentally hit him.. H-he just ran in front of us.." Johanna muttered quietly.. 

The nurse smiled and patted her on the back. "It is quite common for this kind of thing to happen.. Don't stress, you did the right thing by bringing him here.." 

The young girl bitterly returned a smile back, her face and eyes were still red from crying.  

*** 

In the emergency room, veterinarians were working very tirelessly to keep Kuro alive.. 

"Pass me the sterilising forceps!" The veterinarian commanded a nurse, cutting the skin to check what organs are damaged. It was not good. A lot of his organs were squished with the impact of being hit.  Veterinarian gave fluids to strengthen up the organs as best he could and mended the broken bones while trying to keep the blood inside. Sadly, the bones and muscles in the back right leg was so badly damaged, that the whole leg had to be amputated. It was a long, hard surgery but after 7 hours, it was completed and was now up to Kuro to survive or not...  

The veterinarian phoned Johanna and Ezekiel about his condition. 

"Hello, I am calling in behalf of the dog you had sent in." The man spoke in a strict business tone. 

Johanna who had answered replied with anticipation. "Hi.. I-is the dog ok?" She replied, her heart beating with anxious feeling. 

 "He has just had surgery but it is all up to him if he will survive the night or not... He had severe organ and bone damage. His back right leg was so badly damaged that we had to amputate it... Also.. this dog by the looks of it was a stray so we will take him to an animal shelter if he recovers well.." 

The girl sighed in relief, knowing the dog still had a chance of survival and that he was still alive.. "T-thank you sir.. for what you did for him.." Ezekiel stood beside Johanna, comforting her by wrapping arms around.. 

As soon as the call had finished, Ezekiel asked about the dog also.. 

"The vet said he has a chance of survival but he might still die.." Johanna muttered quietly. 

Her boyfriend continued cuddling and caressing her to help ease some of the pain she was feeling.. "Don't worry, he looked like a fighter in my eyes.."

"Yes, I believe he will be ok.." The girl bitterly smiled and peered up into his eyes.. They were like bright blue beautiful windows into the sky, his soul. Her boyfriend always made her feel better whenever she felt down.. 

Ezekiel leaned down towards the young girl and the couple kissed with bitter passion in their hearts, hope dwindling inside that the animal will be ok by the next day.