Chapter 4

On the 30th floor, Alba had crept into a human's living room with grey sofas and a medium sized TV sitting at the other wall.. It was very small and cosy. As she stepped onto the apartment floor from the window sill, a scent had caught her nose.. Her ears pricked up in curiosity but she started looking for food. A hissing sound was heard! 

A dark grey cat sat nearby, glaring angrily.. "You dirty cat! What are you doing in my territory!?"

 "You dirty cat! What are you doing in my territory!?"

Alba backed away, frightened and hissing.. as she had never fought with another cat before.. She wanted to go back out the window and run back to Kuro but she did not want to be more of a burden to him.. Determinedly she ran towards the other scent she could smell, avoiding the other cat and knocking all the canned foods to the floor..  aggravating  the grey cat even more.. 

"You will not cause havoc in this home!!" He angrily roared.. jumping up on the counter beside Alba.. She giggled nervously.. 

"Looks like there is plenty of food for you.. Why not share?" She replied back, glaring back at him.

"Because my family will be back soon... And I am not the only one you should be worried about.." He glared, swiping Alba in the face, leaving giant claw marks around her eye.. Alba whimpered in pain, taking a couple cans of food  disobediently and running out as fast as she could.. Upon coming down the awnings, she looked at her reflection in a window.. She was covered in bloody wounds all over her body.. from both attacks. I look a disgrace.. and my body hurts.. She thought to herself then jumped down the rest of the way, exhaustedly and painfully.

Kuro was still standing there and was surprised to see that she had gained even more wounds! 

"Are you ok?" He asked with a deep but gentle, worried voice. 

"Sure.." Alba muttered and opened the cans with her sharp claws to begin eating.. 

Kuro sighed and bit into the food, eating with his newfound friend. Soon, strong breezes begun to occur and as it blew past Alba's wounds, she whined.. The dog worriedly examined her and started licking the wounds to clean them.. The touch still hurt her but she trusted him enough to allow it. 

"Well well well... A dog licking a cat! Such an interesting phenomenon!" A deep voice, laughingly echoed nearby.. Kuro and Alba pricked ears up and searched, but saw no one.. A bunch of odd looking humans, wearing loose clothing and beer in their hands came out of the shadows.. They were drunk.. 

"Alba, stay behind me!" Kuro stood up and was in protective mode, barring teeth, Alba right behind, hissing and cowering at the same time.. The party boys were chuckling and laughing amongst each other. 

"Guys.. animals are so stupid, lets show them humans are superior!.." Dark skinned boy with black hair sneered and the guys began to throw beer bottles at them.. Kuro yelped in pain as the shards of glass dug into his fur, causing him to bleed.. 

"We have to run.." Kuro muttered.. knowing how dangerous humans can be.. 

"I-it's still raining.. b-but I will try.." Alba replied, still afraid of the water.. 

Both animals ran from the men, although Alba was not as fast as Kuro and one of the boys grabbed her by tail, hurting her.. "Kuro!!.." 

Kuro sighed.. I am always going to have problems with this cat.. He ran back, biting the boy's skin.. making him drop the cat.. 

"Ahh!! You stupid mutt!!" The angry boy kicked the dog hard which got him even mad and continued attacking the man.. 

The other men and the animals were attacking each other, both gaining wounds.. It was a horrible sight. Suddenly loud sirens were coming towards the fight and Kuro and Alba saw police cars arriving and some animal catchers! Noo!!  Kuro cried in his mind, seeing the animal catchers getting out of the car with cages and rope.. 

Men were frightfully running off but the officers still managed to handcuff them and dragged them all in the back of the car with full force.. Kuro quickly grabbed the kitten and ran off to escape the catchers.. 

Of course, they were too wounded and the catchers caught them both.. putting them in cages.. They both whined, afraid, not knowing what will happen to them. Were these humans going to hurt them too? 

The humans took them to a shelter with dogs and cats in separate areas.. Alba curled up in a ball at the corner, trembling, not feeling safe alone.. Kuro just lay down, eyeing the door carefully, so that he could escape as the door opened again. At this shelter, Kuro could see the other dogs in nearby cages.. barking and making noise.. 

"Hey, newbie.. Welcome to the shelter." A neighbour dog with long haired light brown fur, fluffy dark brown ears and white around his nose and eyes spoke.. 

Kuro, quietly ignored him, not in the mood to talk

Kuro, quietly ignored him, not in the mood to talk.. He hated feeling captive.. 

"It.. is hard being here, I agree.. but there is a chance someone might adopt us.." The strange dog continued talking.. Adopt? What does he mean by that? Kuro thought. He had never heard this word before and never knew what it was. 

"Look, I do not know about this.. 'adopt' thing you speak of is, but I need to get out of here!" He angrily snapped at the dog, being agitated.. 

The other dog looked at him in a sad way.. as if knowing all too well how he felt.. His eyes had deep sadness buried within. "I felt the same way when I first came here.. Then, I started seeing other dogs being 'adopted' by a family.. The family seems happy and so does the dog.. Ever since, I witnessed that, I've wanted it too but no one ever wants to adopt me." 

Kuro strangely looked at him.. Mhmm.. A family? But no one can be a family like your real one, right?