🌹~ Song bird.

Heather sat on the counter's edge, swinging her legs playfully and giggling silently at Marco's idiotic grimaces.

***

Now almost a year ago, she lived in a tinies orphanage where her older brother -who cared for her after their parents' death- left her at the age of four. At the age of 13 -which is old for a 5 inches tiny- and her being mute since birth, there obviously was no hope for her to be adopted ever. Especially when in her orphanage there were plenty of cooler races, like the nekos or the rabbit people that giants preferred for their domestic animal and child side. There were even human tinies who did puppy-ish stuff in desperate attempt to get adopted: whines and whimpers, grabby hands, clinging and cuddling and- ew. Heather was way more mature and, admittedly, she was a dirty mouthed, snarky, distrustful girl. Surely, she would never trade her human intelligence for some petsy cutesyness.

She had every reason to know she would finish her life in that place, and she didn't mind it. She had tons of friends there, and she knew where the glutton of the orphanage hid her stolen chocolate. She would have been just fine, but no. Because giants are just too big to fit in their own life, they have this hateable habit of coming in and taking space in your life too. That's what Marco did.

Marco was a giant guy in his early twenties, he wasn't the smartest, he was far from handsome, and Heather didn't notice him among the wave of giants who came for adoption that Sunday. But he somehow noticed her in the wave of energetic giggling tinies.

Heather was surprised and flattered that a giant was interested in her and came to talk to her, but she had no interest for him. And if he wanted her than she was going to show her real self and see. So she treated him just like anyone else, not better nor worse, and it meant giving snarky and sarcastic remarques until it got frustrating. But she was eagerly surprised that this guy didn't really mind waiting for her numerous scribbles and reading the equivalent of a book, he even replied with his own load of mediocre puns and sarcastic comments.

Heather had to admit, it was pleasant to get the attention for once, but she knew it would only be temporary before he moved on. So you can guess that she was surprised when he came back the day after, demanding to discuss with her. It felt absolutely great, for once in her life she got the opportunity to have for her all alone. The other tinies of the orphanage didn't seem interested in him enough to try to show their pet act, he looked kind of poor and silly, not the dream parent who would drown their kid in presents and kisses.

Still, as much as Heather appreciated the guy, it didn't buy her trust, maybe her respect and some affection to an extent, but she'd only discussed with him for a couple day. Marco continued to come, every day, for a week, then two, then a whole month. They got permission to leave the orphanage a couple hours for nightly hangouts. They pranked some people in the streets, they watched cheesy movies at the cinema, went to parks, ate snacks, went to game arcades, he even bought her a nice green scarf, the first thing in years that didn't belong to the orphanage, but to her, and her only. At the orphanage, her friends always teased her about it, saying that it was only a matter of time before he made his big demand. In fact, everyone in the orphanage was getting ready for the moment

They were right.

One day, Marco came to the orphanage early in the morning, surprising Heather. She came out after putting her clothes on and.looked up at him questioningly. He got down in a sitting position ruffled his hair with a nervous grin. After a short silence he mumbled: "Y'know, I've been thinking lately and... You wanna, uh, spend some time at my place?" His gaze finally locked on her, waiting apprehensively for her answer.

Heather frowned a little, processing what the giant just said, but her thoughts were cut short when she heard a chorus of mockerous voices from her left.
"Oy!"
"Hey m'ster!"
"If you're in for adoption than she's yes!"
"She's been dreaming every night about smooching you and stuff like a charmin' prince."
"Mwaah mwah mwaaah my Marco~"