Chapter 19

King Zelrox had obviously taken precautions after our last escape over Erwhos River. There was a temporary wooden bridge only ten meters to my right when I emerged from the trees, and to my left I could see another in the distance. Both were guarded by two soldiers at each end, and there was a padlocked gate blocking my way. Why they bothered giving us even better access over the river I had no idea, but it evidently made sense to them. I took a deep breath and steadied myself, throwing my shoulders back and arching my chin in a show of arrogance. False confidence was all I had.

I marched towards the soldiers nearest me, making sure to add in a slight limp just like Cameo had reported. I got closer, and one of the soldiers saw me. He nudged his partner, and they both shifted nervously on their feet. Suddenly I was glad the General was feared by those beneath him. It would make this a whole lot easier. I stopped in front of the two young men and folded my arms behind my back expectantly. They stared at me, petrified.

"Well?" I barked. "Aren't you going to let me through?" The soldier that had seen me first swallowed and cleared his throat. He was young and strong, with a dark face, green eyes and two days worth of stubble on his chin. A long sword was strapped to his hip.

"G-General Baron, we have strict orders not to..." He faltered under my glare, and swallowed again. Perspiration began to moisten his forehead. "Not to let anyone across the b-bridge." I stepped in close to the soldier.

"What's your name Private?"

"Kaktus, General Baron." The young soldier replied.

"Well Kaktus, am I just anyone?" Kaktus didn't reply. "Well?" I growled the last part, and it worked. Kaktus' comrade actually whimpered.

"N-No General Baron."

"Your time-wasting is starting to be a real thorn in my side, Kaktus." I continued repeating his name, and stepped in even closer. His lip trembled, and I twitched my eye for good measure. Kaktus whimpered. "I could have you strung up for treason so fast even the devil wouldn't have time to book your reservation in Hell. I don't like disobedience. Are you disobeying me, Kaktus?" Kaktus sighed and hung his head.

"No General Baron."

"Are you going to let me past and forget you ever saw me?"

"...Yes General Baron."

"Good boy." I stepped back and grinned wickedly, which must have looked pretty gruesome with the scowl I already wore due to the scar. Kaktus let out a breath of relief when I stopped invading his personal space and pulled out a key. His hands were shaking, and he had to use two hands to insert the key into the padlock. Eventually he got the gate open, and I stepped through. "And that goes for your boys as well." I added quietly.

Kaktus' comrade nodded so quickly I'm amazed he didn't get whiplash. Kaktus stayed quiet as I was allowed through the other gate, and I strode away from the bridge without looking back, my limp prominent and my fists clenched at my sides. Only when they disappeared from view did I stop for a second to let out a breath of relief. It worked. I had to take three deep breaths to calm my racing heart. My cover was still safe. The plan was working. I continued on my way until I reached the road leading up to the castle. The village was deserted except for the beggars sleeping in the doors of shops and the farmers bringing their produce into town, but they were easy to avoid, and those that saw me scuttled away in fear.

I reached the gates without any problems. It was almost too easy. The dragon Judas took one look at me and dismissed me as a potential threat. Who I could only assume was Cameo was waiting in the shadows of the gates. There was a flash of silver at his hip. When he saw me he raised an eyebrow.