Chapter 5

Pegasus landed on the ledge easily. I got off stiffly, my muscles unusually sore from the flight. My foot caught in the stirrup, and my face reddened as I tried to dislodge it. Pegasus said nothing, but I could feel good-natured humour leaking through the link. After I freed myself, I removed the saddle and hefted it onto the hook next to the one that would never be used again. The pain returned, and the dagger nicked the beginning of a new wound. I swallowed, turning away. My attempts to quash the nausea were futile.

Taking a deep breath, I steeled myself and walked past Pegasus. I knew he wanted to say something, but to my relief he stayed quiet. Stubborn pride fought my desire to ask Rydel for help, and twice I was brought to a halt on the stairs. I didn't deserve his help or his pity. But Henry did, and I was willing to kiss the half-elf's feet if it ensured Henry's safety. I made it to the entrance to the room where I guessed Rydel would most likely be found, but my feet wouldn't allow me to move any further. I was suddenly paralyzed. What was wrong with me? The ex-hunter I knew didn't hesitate, I wasn't afraid of the half-elf or anyone else.

"I know you're there." Rydel's voice was quiet. I tensed, swearing under my breath at being caught so easily. Inhaling quietly, I steeled myself and stepped into the entrance, hands curled into fists. I hated the vulnerability I felt when I raised my eyes to meet his gentle ones. I hated the pity in his eyes. "Did you want to see me?" I hated the careful precision in his words, as if he saw me as a frightened animal to be treated with the utmost caution should I get a scare and take off.

"Before Knox rescued me-" My throat suddenly closed up at the mention of the witch's name, and my lips moved soundlessly for a second. I swallowed and forced my voice to sound confident. "-There was a young boy, a thief I saved from a stallholder. I don't know how many people saw me with him, but I told the stallholder he was my nephew. I wasn't even thinking-"

"-Did you tell him anything?" Rydel interrupted, panic briefly breaking his composed demeanour. I shook my head. The half-elf stayed quiet for a second, watching me. I began to feel extremely stupid, and turned to leave. "What's his name?" Rydel's question stopped me.

"H-Henry." I hated the insecurity betrayed by my shaken voice. This was the first time I had ever asked him for something. I didn't turn around.

"Exactly how young is he?"

"No older than twelve."

"You care about him." It wasn't a question, and after a long silence I nodded despite the fact I so wanted to believe I didn't. Everyone I cared about only got hurt or killed. "I'll call a meeting, see how soon we can get someone in." I turned back to face Rydel in shock, but his face betrayed no jest. He was serious.

"Thank you." Words could not convey how grateful I was.

"Silver, we've all lost someone we care about. Even me. If there's even a chance that we can save someone else from that pain, I will do everything in my power to bring them home." I hated that name. It suddenly occurred to me that I had no idea of Rydel's past. Who had he lost before becoming who he was now? Unsure of what to say next, I nodded and left. I had no idea where I was going, but I didn't care. My stomach rumbled. My senses zeroed in on the pang of hunger that started in my stomach, and I relished in the brief reprieve from the pain in my heart. Eventually though, I had to give in to my instincts. I sought out the lunch room.

The lunch rush was over, but the tables were still dotted here and there with Freedom Fighters. I saw Blue sitting with one of the groups, but he avoided my eye. There was no one at the serving table, so I grabbed a tray and filled my plate with cold vegetables and slices of fruit. I avoided the mashed potato. The meat supply had dwindled, animals fleeing the forest in the wake of the dragon's appearance. Eyes bore into my back, and I wished the earth would open up and swallow me. I walked through the silence to the table in the furthest corner, and sat with my back to the rest of the group, picking at my food. Conversation slowly resumed, but suspicion lowered their voices to almost inaudible.