Chapter 3

When I saw the stallholder that had threatened Henry I took a sharp right to avoid running into him, passing through the alleyway onto a second street. I was hindered by no one as I headed out of the village, following the road for as little time as possible. The presence of the dragon was still there, still roaming, still searching. Before I could leave the road I ran into a couple walking into the village.

"Heard the roars. Come back has it?" The man invited conversation, and I looked up, immediately annoyed with myself for not hearing them approach.

"Ah, yeah. What is that thing?" I asked.

"Out of towner, are you?" The man asked, looking me up and down. "Could tell."

"Zavier, don't be so rude!" The woman attached to him arm scolded, before smiling at me in apology. It was the couple from the farm. "I'm sorry, the tensions are running a bit high at the moment, what with the Freedom Fighters and rumours of Riders."

"I'm sorry?" I asked, wanting to know what had happened.

"The Freedom Fighters haven't been seen in months, but about a week ago they raided one of King Zelrox's settlements to the west. Over fifty super-naturals escaped, and all of the soldiers were killed. King Zelrox summoned the dragon to search for that Saviour everyone is talking about. He says it'll put an end to the Freedom Fighters once and for all." The woman, I assumed to be Ersatz, explained.

"I've heard of this Saviour. I'm from the east you see. On my way home at the moment." I lied easily. "I thought the Riders were extinct?" Ersatz shook her head sadly, and I tried to ignore the hard look Zavier was giving me.

"Afraid not dear. Why, King Zelrox caught one of them months ago, and their dragon too." I froze, and tried not to swallow.

"What?" My voice cracked, and Zavier narrowed his eyes. Ersatz carried on, oblivious to the tension between her husband and I.

"Oh yeah. Tried to keep it hush, but word travels fast. That Shadow put an end to the beastly thing though, thank the heavens. Imagine if it had been left to roam the skies." Bile rose in my throat. Zavier coughed loudly.

"Come on now Ez, we'll leave this young lady to continue on her way." I watched as they passed by me, but before I could leave Zavier turned around, scepticism evident in his voice. "If you're heading home, why are you walking west?" Ersatz looked at her husband in confusion, before locking eyes with my own. A strand of silver hair fell from my hood.

Without another word I gathered my cloak and ran.

Behind me shouts erupted as Ersatz screamed and Zavier called for me to stop. Soon enough the sounds turned to yells for the guards, and I didn't have to look behind me to see the couple running to the village. My lungs soon began to contract painfully, unused to the sudden need for such a large burst of energy. I forced my legs to move faster, and soon reached the first fence that signalled the beginning of the paddocks. My super-natural abilities were dulled, but I was still able to clear the fences without any effort. I flew over the first one and stumbled when I landed, scrambling back up and carrying on. The hood flew back and my hair flew out untamed.

Behind me I heard the clink of metal and the cries of the soldiers. Not much further. Get to Erwhos River. I could lose them once I was over the water. They would have to cross the bridge, kilometres downstream. The paddocks ended. Grass whipped my legs, trying to snake around my limbs and trap me. Closer. A roar shook the sky and a cry of pain erupted from my throat.

The dragon launched from the turret, diving towards the ground. At the last moment great wings flew out and it soared upwards, hurtling towards the dot that the soldiers had zeroed in on. King Zelrox watched through its eyes and his fingers laced together with lazy triumph.