Chapter 9

The plan went wrong from the very beginning. The dragon still sat atop the highest tower, its beady eyes roaming the sky and the land for its prey. It was quickly decided that Pegasus would remain in the trees, which he was only too happy to do. I unsaddled him and hung the saddle on a low hanging branch. Even though Pegasus was relieved to be left out of the mission, he watched me with worry evident in his eyes. I stared back at him.

Please, don't do anything reckless. He begged quietly. Just follow the plan, come back safe.

You know I can't let them get away with what they've done. I replied stonily.

Now is not the time. What if it goes wrong? This whole thing; it doesn't feel right. Pegasus snorted.

I'll be back soon. I said instead. Go and graze. Pegasus watched sullenly as I turned around and joined the group. "Let's go." I said curtly. Everyone looked behind me awkwardly, and suddenly the air was filled with undisguised tension. Rydel was the first to move. I could feel Pegasus' dubious eyes on my back as we moved away, hidden by the Blind. He didn't move even when we had crossed Erwhos River and entered the village.

The place was bustling with nervous calm. The villagers acted normally, but there was a tense fear that never let them truly relax. Even hidden by the Blind, I could feel the dragon's eyes. Roaming. Searching. The hideous voice seemed to call for me as it scanned the horizon. I will find youuuuu. It called in a singsong taunt. It inspired fear, instilled doubts. Who could I trust? I looked quietly at everyone in my group. Dragonfly walked beside me, the unknown quantity, reaching not even my armpit. Everything about her was daintily precious, but her black hair was rebelliously cut short, sticking up in every direction. She wore a black crop top and jeans, hardly the proper clothes for combat. Delicate wings peeked out from underneath her top.

Everything about her was designed to charm, to disarm with no more than a sultry glance. Faeries resided in the woods, many using their abilities to nurture the wildlife. However, their ancestors had a long history, giving the race a reputation similar to that of sirens. She had appeared out of nowhere, claiming to be of Ranwick origin with want to join the Freedom Fighters. I shook the voices from my head. It was the dragon, the aura that it exuded. Pure evil.

Soon enough, it would be gone.

By the time we reached the open gates of the castle, Mum was starting to sweat from the drag of Blinding so many people. We passed through the gates and skirted around the edges of the giant courtyard where young teenagers trained under the watchful eye of scarred and tattooed veterans. I didn't recognize any of them. Memories of my time in prison wormed their way into my mind, and I remembered the armed escort that had led me through this very courtyard with all intent of returning with my death on their conscience. We made it through the doors, finding a small room where Mum could finally release us. Her shoulders dropped in relief, and she tried to regulate her breathing lest we be discovered. I remembered every inch of the place.

"Remember the plan. Dragonfly, you go ahead with Henry. Luka, flank them. Everyone else, spread out and make sure we aren't being followed. All clear?" He looked at me, like he knew what I was planning. "Ersatz?" I made no promises, but nodded anyway.

"Henry, go ahead." Mum said, smiling encouragingly. Dragonfly was chewing something as she followed Henry, flanked by Luka, who had allowed his fingernails to elongate to claws. I stayed to the edge, annoyed when Rydel didn't go ahead straight away.

"Whatever you're thinking, don't do it." He warned. I said nothing. Eventually, he turned and followed the group. I brought up the rear. Every time Rydel looked back, I was there, scouting out the halls that ran into the path we were following. Until suddenly, I wasn't.