CHAPTER 20

"Hey! I said no one leaves until I give the say so!"

"Let her go now! Or you will find you are not so immortal."

CHAPTER 20

“Allisa, there are other places to get a Sprite.” Sayer’s gaze left the vampire in the hall long enough to level a meaningful look into her eyes. A look that was not hard to read. He wanted her to leave, to port away, and the reason he had not outright said so, is so that the vampire would not understand, thus giving her the few seconds she needed..

Obviously they had dawdled long enough, because the vampire finally spoke, lowering his chin in a humble manner as he did so. “Dear Allisa, my apologies for upsetting you and your friend here. My presence is meant to be just the opposite.”

The fact that he knew her name did not escape her attention, nor did the fact that a calming peace began to settle through her, and feeling it, she jerked her eyes away from his dangerous, compelling gaze. She had been dazed enough for one day.

As she began spending more time around the vampires, her speech began to adapt to the particular one she might happen to be speaking with, and that is why she phrased, “If you would be so kind then, as to state your business?”

His business as it turned out was to “keep any harm from befalling her.” The cavalier that Gabrielle had promised. Allisa's relief was as great as her agitation. Having a vampire follow her home was not something her parents would understand or condone if they did, and having him outside in a tree, or wherever he decided to keep watch, would not go unnoticed by the neighbors dog, or even the neighbors themselves, especially nosy Mrs. Z next door.

Their association with him in the hallway would not go unnoticed for long, so leaving him to retreat to wherever he was keeping vigilance, Sayer and Allisa closed themselves in the office once more.

Sayer spoke as he crossed the room to return to his chair. “A Protector ordered on you? I am guessing that this has something to do with what happened to Jane?”

Rooted to the floor in the middle of the room, Allisa’s mind was processing as fast as the computer at his fingertips. After tapping a couple of keys, he looked to her for confirmation. Sayer was intelligent enough to figure all the facts in and come to the correct conclusion, and Ashton had after all said to take some of her concerns up with the doctor.

Knowing the protector, or cavalier as Gabrielle had so sixteenth century referred to him, was within hearing distance kept her from doing so at this time, and instead she just nodded. Pointing toward the door and rolling her eyes, she produced her phone and dialed Gabrielle with the intent of voicing her concerns. As safe as she would feel with some sort of protector, there were just so many reasons it would not work, either at her parent’s house or The Black House.

Firmly Gabrielle remained insistent that Allisa be watched, and Allisa ended the call resigned to the fact that a vampire would be stationed inconspicuously outside her house somewhere for who knew how many nights.

A glance at Sayer found him in the preliminary stage of gathering his things together, and when he met her eyes he shrugged. “I’m calling it a wash for the night.”

Feeling guilt ridden again for the lack of work they had gotten done in the last couple of weeks due to her, for one reason or another, she felt compelled to apologize yet again. “Sorry about this.”

“Don’t worry about it, we may be backlogged with the little stuff, but you have made some huge progress.”

His answer was vague, due to the vampire ears lurking. It was also generous and way more than she had gotten from her apology to Will earlier, and her thoughts clouded again. Circling to his side of the desk, she knelt enough to pull up a fresh notepad page on his laptop and began typing. Sayer’s stillness was tangible as he read the words trailing behind the cursor.