CHAPTER 8

"Oh see I knew they were too much for you boy"

"Miss Mystery who is this? This YOUR BOY friend?"

CHAPTER 8

Unaware or uncaring of the concern unfolding around her because she would not wake up, Allisa sank even further into her sleep, so far that it was not a memory, she was living it again...

...Like lightening, her pencil skated over the chemical equation, and at the tinkle of the bell over the Smoothie Shop door, she glanced up, her heart stopping as always when she saw him. It took him a moment to return her notice, and he did a double take.

“You?!” He declared skeptically, even blinking his eyes as if he were waking from a sleep. Those gorgeous gray eyes looked suspiciously from her face to the window behind her, and he scowled as he studied her once more.

Allisa did not know what to say. She was sworn to secrecy, and would he even believe her about portals and grates?!

“You are not one of them.” The observation was made as his gaze fell on the sunlight shadowing her profile on the table. “I don't get it. What were you doing in my—how did you get in my--?”

At this point, the goth girl advanced on them from her place behind the counter, introducing them both and apologizing for her “idiot brother.”

It was odd how the discovery that the two were siblings took precedence over the fact that he was awaiting an explanation of finding her standing in his bedroom after the midnight hour.

“Hi,” Allisa spoke hesitantly to Jane introducing herself, then dared to let her eyes slide to the hot scowling guy who had been introduced as her brother Will.

To her relief and simultaneous disappointment, the two eventually moved on after a short polite conversation. As Allisa stared dismally, but with definite distraction at the pockets of Will's Levi's, and the broad shoulders defined under his Green Day band shirt, she heard Jane sing song under her breath, “Jailbait, perv.”

Allisa was on the downhill slide to sixteen, and she studied the pair wondering their age, that they would think she was such a child. Apparently neither had an adult job! A goth girl merchandising heath foods and drinks and her mooching brother...who did they think they were to dismiss her as a kid?!

The Smoothie Shoppe was no longer part of her daily routine after that. As much as she wanted to see him, she did not want to be questioned about that night in his room, or even embarrassed by being looked on as a child instead of a girl.

Avoidance worked for a few weeks, and then it had happened again!

Allisa found herself in his room, only fortunately this time the rumpled bed was empty. Knowing that it was wrong, in every aspect, she followed the male voices, down the stairway. The couple of creaks beneath her feet, were muffled by the loud video game they were playing.

Transfixed, she watched, the vigorous button jabbing on the game controllers, and two sets of eyes glued to the television. Will and another boy; and as she took them in, she knew that neither could be older than eighteen at the most. Intently they played, swearing at the game, and at each other, all in good nature. Hungrily, her eyes drank Will in, with no interest for the other one, although her one glance had shown him to be just as attractive.

For long seconds, she stood on the bottom stair, having no idea what she would do if caught, and oddly not caring. Of course the luck of any girl that would end up in a vampire town when blessed with her brain she could have had the world by it's tail, could not be good. That was a concept that proved true yet again on this night.