Chapter Forty Five

------------------------------------

Dedication: Ceeairamariie for making me my awesome cover on the side - thank you very much for it. I really appreciate it! <3

Okay, I don't have much to say, but awesome response to the last chapter, so please, please keep it up. It means a lot to mwaah. Anyway, let's hope you like this one. Enjoy. :)

------------------------------------

I was absolutely speechless.

My mouth opened and closed numerous times without any words coming out. Her words bounced around in my head and I looked down at the little box in my hands again. I flickered my eyes back to her, completely flabbergasted.

"Oh my God." Was the genius response I came up with.

"What the hell am I going to do?" Mel burst out, her knees buckling underneath her, causing her to collapse onto the bed into a crumpled heap. I slowly shut the door behind me, still a little dumbfounded. Almost robot-like, I walked in the direction of the bed and sat stiffly down beside her.

"I-Is..." I tried, but my voice went a little too high and squeaky for my liking. I cleared my throat and tried again, "Is Luke the father?"

"I assume so," she sniffled, her nose bright red. "I've only slept with one other guy since mucking around with Luke and that was months ago."

I raised my hand and squeezed her upper arm softly. "You'll be okay."

A sob tore from her throat and I cradled her to me instantly. It wasn't like she was just crying. No, that wouldn't begin to explain what she sounded like. It was chest-wracking lamentation. She buried her face into the crook of my neck and I rubbed her back soothingly.  I wish I could absorb all the overbearing grief from her and deposit it elsewhere. I had no idea what comforting words I could say to even begin to try and calm her.

I was freaking out and it wasn't even me in the situation.

"I can't have a baby!" she cried, reeling back and raking her fingers through her hair frantically. "I'm too emotionally unstable for that!"

I chewed at my lip, tears filling my eyes. I felt desperation and unbearable sadness wash through me. Mel would be an amazing mother, but not at this age. She was only seventeen. She had barely even lived her life yet! There was still so much for her to do!

"Like - like I know I can financially support myself, but Luke isn't mature enough to have a kid! He is going to flip when I tell him."

No sarcastic thoughts whizzed through my head at the mention of Luke's immaturity. I knew she was right. This was going to be a very difficult situation. I wiped at my cheeks and blinked furiously. The last thing she needed was me to have a mental breakdown. It wasn't even me enduring this for Goodness sake! But Mel was my best friend. My sister from a different mister. Whatever troubles she went through, I was there, by her side, supporting her the entire way.

This time was absolutely no different.

"So... so you only found out t-today then?" I said, trying to make my voice as unwavering as I could manage. It was harder then it sounds. My voice always betrayed me, letting my emotions leak into it.