VIII. WELCOME

CHAPTER EIGHT
( WELCOME! )

ADELAIDE COUGHED AS HER SHOES TRACKED UP DUST AND IT LODGED IN HER THROAT. Seth gave her a worried look, not in case of infection but something else. The group seemed to move collectively towards the bar, not even speaking a word, even though they were supposed to be going their separate ways.

Another cluster of men bumbled out of the doors and in the group's direction, as if they didn't see them. Soon they had collided, one of the drunkest men banging hard into Adelaide's shoulder; knocking her slightly back. She grimaced at him, the stench of alcohol seeping off him, and was about to shove him hard back when larger pale hands did it instead.

"Watch where you're going, before you find yourself going into the ground" Richie snarled, his eyes hard behind his black rimmed glasses, as they glared at the man who mumbled something before stumbling off.

"I can look after myself" Adelaide grumbled even though she felt a weird sense in her stomach. It was warm and clenched her insides in a sickly way.

The rest of the group had carried on, oblivious to the pair stopping and soon they had caught up.

"After this we can go our separate ways right?" Jacob said, his eyes sliding across to the shorter Gecko brother.

"All in good time old man, all in good-" Seth was unable to finish his sentence as an extravagant looking drunk man was stumbling and jumping from side to side outside of the titty twister, his laughter screeching as he made his way to the odd group.

He stood in front of a neon sign that flashed 'chicas' three times in a row. Adelaide wasn't paying attention to the man but since he was chanting so loud she couldn't help but hear his obscene, foul language about females. The rest of the group just looked at him with exasperated and amused faces with raised eyebrows as he listed off: 'sweet potato, pineapple, pumpkin!' She felt disgusted; especially when the focus turned to her.

"A new flavour has just been added to the menu, hot sweet cinnamon" The guy husked, licking his lips as his slimy eyes travelled over her tanned body for too long. She felt her skin crawl under his gaze as she grimaced and folded her arms over her chest.

The creepy man descended the stairs and the whole group watched him with wary eyes as he made his way to Adelaide.

"She's not going to be on the menu" Seth said and the tone in his voice was obviously a warning as he stepped between the pair, his finger resting on the man's bare chest, as his dull shirt split at the front where it hadn't been buttoned all the way.

The man mumbled something in his gross voice but Adelaide was unable to hear it as Seth quickly punched him in the face. His fist collided square in his jaw, knocking him over a couple of steps; making them all blink in shock, Kate watching with a small smile. Richie didn't attempt to get involved in any way but just stared at the man disgusted with a clenched jaw. So at least these immoral men weren't pigs. But Adelaide didn't know why they both seemed so bothered about these slimy men and her.

Without another word, Seth waved them in nonchalantly as if nothing had happened; and they all followed him in the same stance. However the man sat on the step, grumbling something angrily at Seth as he clutched his bleeding nose.

Weirdly, Adelaide felt triumphant and warming towards Seth as she smiled at the back of his head, the dark black trickling the top of his neck. She trailed the group and when she had passed the cradling man, he grabbed her ankle which was beside his arched head. She tried to yank it away, her frown growing, the toes of her boot hitting his shoulder as he used her as support as he clambered up. Soon he had fully stood up (the rest of the group not noticing) and he was now eye level with her. He smirked at her and the blood dripping from his nose filled the delves in between his browning teeth. His lips peeled back as he was about to speak again (something most likely sexual and revolting) but he didn't have a chance as Adelaide had already swung her hard right fist into his smug face; knocking him further back. He slipped on a couple more stairs down, holding his face even harder with desperation. The blood bubbled through his fingers, it was definitely broken now.

The group in front of her had turned around now staring at the pair. The Fullers looked shocked, their faces white and jaws fallen open. However Seth whistled and Richie just smirked, his blue eyes lit brightly. Adelaide just ignored them, pushing between them, walking into the bar with her hips swaying more than necessary; her knuckles stinging slightly, but the adrenaline she got every time made her not notice and instead smile a little to herself as the doors closed behind them.