IV. A LONG RIDE

CHAPTER FOUR
( A LONG RIDE! )

RICHIE GECKO HAD LOOSENED UP AND SO HAD HIS GRIP ON THE GUN. However Adelaide didn't, she wouldn't succumb to the false security, but her teeth weren't chomping forcefully on the inside skin of her mouth anymore. Seth Gecko had moved back down the RV to sit on the built in sofa, his voice hushed as he spoke to the driver, Jacob's eyes and attention focused straight forward. But Adelaide could still make out the hard tone of Seth's voice and from the clenched, whitening knuckles of Mr Fuller she could figure out that the conversation wasn't pleasant or about Sunday brunches. Adelaide had continued to stare outside the window with her palms clasped together on her lap and she didn't even turn when she heard the Gecko at the table stand, his tall frame casting a shadow on the table. She didn't shift her attention from the dusty scene outside until she heard the small creak of the bathroom door close behind Richie.

She let out a breath as she turned her head, looking at the pair next to her. They were sat quietly, knotted hands and frightened faces pale as they shook slightly.

"He won't hurt you" She whispered after a breathy sigh had escaped her nose, her heart wasn't so hard and concrete when she looked at the scared children. Their eyes slid to look at her at the exact same moment and Adelaide would have been creeped out if she didn't know how harmless and afraid they were.

"How do you know that?" The boy hissed, even though his tone was hushed it still held venom. The brunette on the other side of him peered at Adelaide and shot her brother a worried, warning glance. Even though she had smiled at Adelaide before and shared the pool with her, she was frightened of Adelaide too. Maybe it was because of how reckless and stubborn Adelaide had been the whole trip. But she preferred it if the girl feared her, she didn't really know why but mostly it was because if someone fears you you can't really grow attached. And Adelaide definitely didn't want to grow attached to anyone on this RV. Plus she was quite sure Kate was scared of most things.

"Because do you really think we'll get into Mexico with blood sprayed up the back end of the RV and two dead teenagers sprawled on the seats?" The question was rhetorical and the tone was both harsh and mocking, were they really that stupid? "Plus look who's driving" She gestured to the old man at the steering wheel and they all looked over at him "Do you think he's going to keep driving peacefully if they put a bullet in one of his kid's skulls? And they need him to get over that border. They're pretty adamant to get there too." And so was Adelaide. She didn't need these kids mucking her only chance up for her.

Before they could say anything more, Richie stumbled backwards out the bathroom, the door swinging open forcefully. They watched him confused with pulled expressions, was he even more crazy than Adelaide had first assumed?

He quickly closed the door with a flat palm (the uninjured one) and stared at the pale wood from behind his glasses. He let out a small breath and Adelaide sensed he was slightly frightened and confused or even speechless; and that made her even more puzzled. What was so shocking inside that bathroom? Had he never seen a toilet before?

"Hey Richie" Seth called from where he sat at the far end of the RV, now facing his brother "Park it somewhere, will ya?"

Richie turned his head to face Seth as he spoke, his hand sliding down the door. Even though Seth was speaking Adelaide didn't even look at him, her narrowing eyes trained on the older Gecko.

"Relax. It's gonna be smooth sailing from here" Seth assured, gesturing his hand to the large front window of the RV that showed the empty road ahead, as if to calm his brother down and persuade him to reality. But Adelaide was sure Richie Gecko had lost touch with reality and rationality a long time ago.