22. "Closure?"

A/N: CHAPTER DEDICATED TO Mich-zy-slaw

Not many people noticed this, but I made a mistake in the plot. I mentioned in the first chapter that Johnny's dad died, but then said that he didn't want to come to the family event in chapter 15. I didn't notice the mistake until she told me about it, bc it was just a detail, it's doesn't have a big thing to do with the story. So thank you for telling me about this (pretend there's a heart there, my emojis aren't working for some reason.)

Also, lots of people are telling me that they need to go to divorce court to actually get divorced. Well, I knew that one. I was just too lazy to write out the whole court scene and stuff lmao. But they're divorced now, let's just go with my messed up idea's.

-

MACKENZIE'S POV:

I breathed, comprehending that I'll have to tell them what happened sooner or later. Knowing Annie, she'll do anything to get information out of me. Alike to Brynn, she wants the details out of everything. Well, better sooner than later.

I bit my bottom lip, contemplating whether or not to tell them. "I was at the park with Brynn, Lauren went missing, so we went to go look for her. We found her in the woods, this kid had a gun pointed at her head."

Johnny gasped, clutching onto Lauren's dress. His eyes never left mine. A tear slept down my eye, as Johnny got even closer to me. He was practically on top of me.

I took my eyes off of the hand that was laying on my thigh, and gazed back up at him. "She ran, to Hayden's house, apparently," I sadly chuckled.

"Everything went black after that. And– and– t-that's all I want to get out right now," I stated. Johnny grew angry, but Annie just had a pity-full expression on her face.

I hate pity, and people know that. I wanted pity for the divorce, just because I needed it.

I was about to get up to get some sort of unhealthy snack from Hayden's kitchen, but Johnny's hand grabbed ahold of my wrist. I watched back at him, while he looked flat-out serious. "No, you're telling me everything."

I gulped. That's all I wanted to get out at the moment. I didn't tell a lot, but it was enough for one night. I just want to eat and get some rest, tomorrow is going to be a busy day.

"Just give her time to tell us, she's going through a lot–" Annie kindly pleaded. As expected, her word got discontinued by Johnny's.

"–I said no. She's telling me everything. Lauren's my child too." He turned his gaze off of Annie, and up at me. "You're telling me everything." I didn't respond, I didn't know how to respond. His grip on my arm got tighter, but I ignored it. No amount of pain will ever be worse than what I went through just an hour ago.

I took the time to pay attention to his eyes. They were becoming watery. Was he about to cry? A single tear slipped down his cheek, and drooled down his face, landing on his sweater. "I need you to tell me everything. Because if you don't, I'll worry about you too much and I won't be able to sleep without knowing that you're okay. Just, please, tell me." His voice slightly cracked at the end of his little pleading.

Hayden cleared his throat, attempting to get rid of the awkward air. It didn't quite work. He grabbed Annie's hand, exiting out of the couch. "Come on, Annie. We'll go upstairs and they can talk about this privately."

I gave Hayden a thankful look. It wasn't a smile, but more as a wistful expression. Hayden understood in perfectly and grinned at me before walking up the stairs with Annie.