Chapter 11

Stone looks up, distracted by the applause. Two of the troops who are supposed to be on guard duty are more focused on him and Aleska. The rest of the troop around the camp are also mischievously applauding. The only one, not amongst the approving squadron, was the out of commission McDouall. Stone marvels at his troops, they have come a long way in accepting Aleska.

She is also looking up too, having heard the raucous whistles and applause, but her interest is more in the kiss she was indulging in, with Stone. Her hands are still tightly around his neck. She drags his mouth back to continue the kiss.

So much for exercising their relationship within the confine of their private quarters!

When she is almost out of breath, she moves her lips away.
'About those parameters,' she murmurs.

'Yeah?'

She has the most beautiful expressive soft blue eyes when she allows it. Her full-lipped mouth, her delicate bone structure can torture a man to insanity.

'I guess we're going to define them as we go.'

'Yes ma'am.'

'I'm not your senior,' she laughs delicately.

'That's right, we still have issues with the notion of Serve and Obey.'

'I understand fully how to serve,' she contends.

No argument there. He knows she is battle-hardened, agile, competent. 'Yeah, it's the Obey part we have issues with. She bows her head, choosing not to respond to the soft censure.

'Let's take this to your place or mine,' he drapes one arm around her shoulder leading her towards their tents.

'No --- I'm still on duty.'

'See what I mean about you not obeying!'

'Was that an official instruction?' she grins.

'I wish,' he groans softly.

During lunch around the fire, Aleska watches with dismay as Simon picks up an inquisitive tarantula with a pair of pliers and mercilessly tosses it into the fire.

'That is cruel Captain Hack!' Aleska stares at Simon indignantly.

'What! It is deadly! It could have killed any one of us!'

'Do you know one documented case, of a tarantula ever killing a human?' She glowers at him.

'But --- but they are venomous!'

'Venomous yes! But all they cause is discomfort that is never fatal!'

'You must protect me - not that creature!' He sulks.

Stone is watching all this play out. A smug look covers his face. He knows Aleska is correct, about the tarantula being almost harmless. Although to be fair to his captain, Simon hardly knew a sting will not be life threatening.

'This is their natural habitat. You are the invasive species!' Aleska issues.

Simon is all red-faced. He squirms uncomfortably. 'I didn't know ---that,' he lowers his face.

'Now you do soldier, only attack if you face a direct threat and I do believe you can tell the difference.'

She stands up when she sees Jane leaning too close to Stone. Even though her claws threaten to unsheath, with difficulty she keeps them hidden. She didn't know she is capable of alpha-girl territorial behaviour and that is probably the real reason she is having a go at poor Simon.