PROLOGUE

'You were informed of my ETA,' Aleska accuses in Russian.

Her breath hitches as Stone stealthily draws closer towards her. She takes a tiny step backwards. Not that she is afraid of him, but it is more, a fear of her own attraction to this handsome male species that is the problem. She has not forgotten how good-looking he was... or how well toned his athletic body was. Or how she had felt in his arms...

Don't go there. She tears her eyes away.

'Maybe I was not sure you'll pitch up,' he proficiently answered back in Russian. 'The last time,' his voice lowered to a hiss, 'I waited four hours in the freezing snow for you.'

Stone's eyes bores into her. He waits patiently for her to offer any excuses. He gets none.

It had been her General that had informed him that she had requested a transfer from their Serbian base back to her home town in Russia. She had left him without a word; had not even afforded him the courtesy of a good bye.

Aleska refuses to meet his eyes. 'Let's focus on the now,' she retorts. 'I know you received notice of my arrival.'

'You are very certain of the communications I may or may not have received,' he countered in the same language, his eyes holding hers.

As commanding officer of this special force operation, he had to have received the Intel, even here, deep in the Amazon jungle. She had prior knowledge, of the high tech British communications and intelligence capabilities. He is just taunting her.

She mentally reminds herself she's going to be here indefinitely. She must find a way to ignore their intimate past and focus on the task at hand. She keeps her eyes adverted. She has to remember they are no longer of the same rank.

In the past two years she had managed to climb up just the one rank, to the position of Major. He on that other hand has climbed three ranks to the position of Colonel. Now he is her commanding officer. She had not wanted to be a part of this special operation because of --- their past, unfortunately even she sometimes has to follow instructions.

'Why are your soldiers treating me like public enemy number one?' She questions.

Stone ignores her question. He had deliberately kept the information of her ETA to himself. He had wanted to gauge his soldier's reaction to her arrival. His team knew a highly knowledgeable specialist was joining the operation. They did not know she was female or that she was hazardously sexy, with the most piercing blue eyes and long blonde hair that resembled velvety silk. Neither had his team known, her expertise extended to handling herself and any weapon better than most of his soldiers. He smiled inwardly. He had known, exactly how she would respond when provoked. He had wanted his men to know from the word go, that Major Aleska Maric was not to be toyed with and four of his most able men had been indisputably put in their place.

Stone wants to melt that ice cold exterior she is presenting. He wants to test the magnetic energy simmering between them.

'Perhaps you prefer a more rousing reception,' he murmurs, stepping even closer towards her.

She feels her cheeks inflaming. Sweat trickles down her spine.
'No ---,' she automatically steps backwards.

Stone's eyes widens. 'Aleska, don't move,' he commands softly.

She is so distracted by his approaching body, her eyes magnetically trapped by his, she forgets how close she is to the edge of the bank, where a mere twenty feet below, the treacherous and unmerciful rapids of the Amazon River are swirling violently.

Her foot slips, her arms swing out instinctively to regain her balance, but she finds herself unable to hold herself upright in the slippery swampy ground.

Stone reacts with lightning speed. His sturdy arms grip her by the ankles. He holds onto her tightly, bodily dragging her to safety away from the murderous rapids below.

'You trying to commit suicide?' he breathes heavily, his voice unsteady as he leans over her.

She feels his body trembling, concern in his voice. It was foolish of her not to have anticipated the danger, risking both their lives.

'I'm sorry,' she murmurs.

'Get some sleep,' he mumbles gruffly, rising to his feet. 'You're on watch duty, in four hours.'

Aleska lifts herself up, adjusts her back pack on her shoulder. 'I'm doing the first shift,' she argues, walking away from him.

Stone smiles to himself. Since when did Aleska Maric obey instructions? Even now as her commanding officer on this operation, he knows from past experience she was going to be a law unto herself. Every soldier takes the oath to serve and obey, but Aleska Maric clearly has issues with submission.