Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

We walked in silence; I keptglancing at him secretly. He had hard handsome features that gave himthat sexy look that every girl seemed to appreciate. And when I sayevery girl, I mean every single one, from a teenager to an old one. Icould see the looks he kept getting as we walked. He didn't seem tonotice, but I did. He was superbly masculine in every single way, inthe way he moved gracefully with feline agility to the way he heldhimself. We walked until we reached the book store. It was lovely,built in an old style. As soon as we went in a man came to greet us,he was really happy to see Diego, probably he knew him I thought.They talked in Italian, but I didn't pay much attention to what theywere saying; instead I looked at the books, there were hundreds ofthem. I went into the section of romance; I really wanted to readsomething, a love story maybe. Sister Mary had never let me read one,only textbooks and encyclopedias were allowed. I grabbed the firstbook, it seemed nice but it was too expensive, I put it down. I keptlooking around from shelf to shelf until I stopped in front of onewhich had really cheap books .They were second hand, but what did itmatter? All I wanted was to read. I grabbed one in Italian; maybe Ishould start reading Italian I said to myself, I wanted to be able tospeak it well since I was going to live here. The Book was called,"L'amore piu'grande," the biggest love and was written by AliceDe Santis. De Santis? She had Diego's surname, well probably it was acommon surname in Italy, I thought.

"Haveyou found anything you like?" I turned around to see him behind me.

"Yes,this book seems nice." I said showing it to him. His face suddenlysaddened when he saw it. I could see something in his eyes, was itpain?

"Diegoare you OK?" I asked him softly.

"Thisis the first book she wrote." He said, his voice broken.

"She?"

"Mysister Alice. She was really good; everyone liked her books, her lovestories. She lived in a life of dreams." He said grabbing the bookin his hands.

"Anddoes she still write?" I asked. Diego's eyes darkened.

"NoGiulia.. Alice is dead." He said weakly. My jaw dropped. I lookedat him with open mouth; I wasn't expecting this.

"Oh,I'm sorry, I didn't imagine..I..."

"Don'tworry, it happened years ago but I still feel the pain of her loss,she was like a mum to me. She died when I was 16 years old; she wasonly 23. She got sick and didn't manage to survive. I loved herdearly Giulia; she was everything for me." Saying this, he grabbedmy hand. " She would have loved you."

I wished to take away thepain in his eyes. I just wanted to hug him, I really wished. InsteadI kept holding his hand so warm in mine until he let go. He smiled atme and..

"I'mvery pleased that you chose one of her books. It's like as if she'sstill here. She was a very sweet person. She was kind and gentle. I'msure you'll understand that when you read this book. If you want tobuy anything else just do OK. I'll go and talk to that man again; hewas a good friend of Alice. She used to work here."

I nodded while he went away.I kept looking at the different sections, geography, literature,fiction, science, the human body. I stopped in that section; I wascurious, there were so many books. I grabbed one and I nearly made itfall; I blushed while I turned the first page, it was called "Allabout sex." There were many photos and information of every kind. Ilooked at the price, it wasn't very expensive, but how could I buy itwithout telling Diego? I put my hand in my handbag and pulled mypurse out. I opened it and saw that I had some money. I ran quicklyto the counter where there was a young lady and paid her. She put thebooks in a small bag and gave them to me. Few minutes later Diegoreturned.