Giulia Forever (Forbidden love)

CHAPTER 1

I still recall that day asif it happened yesterday. I was studying in my bedroom. At the time Iwas only eight years old. I remember that good smell of biscuits thatmy mum used to make. They had the sweet scent of vanilla. I had awonderful dad who loved me to pieces and a mum who ignored me most ofthe time. Sometimes I thought she didn't love me. I was an only childalthough this was about to change very soon as my mother waspregnant. I was very excited and looked forward to have a brother ora sister; although secretly I wished it was a girl. I felt lonely; myparents worked a lot, my father was a lawyer and my mother was achemistry teacher. We were very rich, and my father used to give meanything I wanted. I would have never thought that something couldhappen and destroy my whole life.

"Giulia!Hey Giulia are you listening?" I jerked my head as I returned tothe present.

"Oh,sorry sister Mary. I was just thinking. What were you saying?"Iasked looking at her annoyed face. She rolled up her eyes and sighed.

I was explaining a poem ofWilfred Owen. He wrote about the suffering of wartime. Can you pleasepay attention."

But I wasn't listening. Nineyears passed from that damned day. Yes, the day I lost all my family,the day I had to leave my lovely home to come at the orphanage. I wasbrought up by the sisters together with other nine children, orphanslike me. My life here has been very different. Despite the fact thatthe sisters love me, I have never been happy. Loneliness became aconstant part of my life. Nothing has been as it was.

I remember that I was doingmy art homework when my father came in shouting that we had to leaveimmediately. I closed my drawing book to go downstairs to find outwhat was happening when my bedroom's door opened, and my fathergrabbed my hand and dragged me downstairs. I began to cry when myeyes met his, as I could sense all his fear. He seemed terrified.Downstairs, I saw my mum waiting for us near the door. She had asmall bag in one hand and some jackets in the other. My father leftme there and went to get something from his office. He came back witha small box and gave it to me without explaining what it was. Hegrabbed my hand and pulled me outside. His car was stationed in frontof our house. He opened the door and pushed me in the car. I waslooking at him terrified.

"Dadwhat's happening, what is this box?" I asked him.

"There'sno time for explanations Giulia, keep that box always with you. It'svery important, protect it and never give it to anyone. If somethinghappens-" He was going to tell me, something else but my motherinterrupted us. She slid with difficulty on the front seat andstroked her belly. She seemed tense but not as terrified as myfather. My father jumped in the car and began to drive furiously.

"Dadwhy are we escaping?" I asked looking at his face through the frontmirror.

"Ohhoney we are not escaping. We are going on holiday in Australia, butwe're in a hurry. We have to be at the airport as soon as possible."He said in a forced happy tone. I didn't believe that explanation,however, I didn't ask anything else. I looked back at the rear windowand saw a car behind us.

"Dad,there's a black car behind us. There's a man waving at us. Maybe hewants us to stop." I told him.

"What?"Myfather's voice sounded fearful. He looked nervously into the mirrorand his facial expression changed to one of panic and terror. Hedepressed the accelerator pedal increasing the speed. Our car shotforward as a bullet. I was terrified. My mum who till now had beensilent looked at my father and begged him to slow down.

"I'mpregnant for God sake. Mike slow down!"she shouted.

"Ican't, they will capture us. Is this what you want?"

Who was going to capture us?I felt my heart accelerating.

"Daddywho is following us and why?" I asked. I was shaking with fear.