Hunter's Blood

Point of View: Mika Sasaki

Pulling on Lily's rein till the all-white horse came to a stop, I hopped off and fixed the hood of my cloak back onto my head. Before I left town for good, I had to say a prayer for the innocent old lady that helped me in that shop the other day, before those ruthless vampires mutilated her. It was the least I could do.

Out front of the shop, there was yellow caution tape blocking the entrance and a small gathering of flowers and candles on the steps. I checked for anyone nearby before slipping around back. With little effort, I leaped up and swiftly down the hole shot into the roof, thanks to Zero. It was dark inside, as the windows were already boarded up, but my eyes easily adjusted. The shop was mostly cleared out; only a few empty racks, hangers and shelves scattered about. There was a faint stain on the wooden floors where the old woman died, and it was there I lowered to my knees, bringing my hands together for prayer.

When I was a child, Mothers of the orphanage would make me watch the human children pray everyday. I wasn't allowed to pray because I was "cursed" and God didn't want to speak to me. At least, that's what they tried to tell me. But when I was alone, which was most of the time, I would secretly pray. Real or not, feeling like I was actually talking to someone kept me sane and made me feel better. But as I shut my eyes, the memory of the orphanage violently burning to the ground appeared, and I lowered my head, tears building in the corners of my eyes.

"I'm..so sorry..everyone.."

I whispered. Suddenly, I heard shuffling behind me and I turned around.

"Aww, that's so sweet."

The silence was broken as several vampires chuckled, stepping into the light that came from the hole in the roof and making themselves known to me. Odd.. these vampires weren't like the others who attacked Zero and I before. But were they here to kill me too..?

"Make sure it's her."

The one in the middle commanded, but before I could stand, one pushed me to the floor and dropped his knee into my back and pinned my arms behind me. I winced - Another vampire grabbing my hood and yanking it off to reveal my blonde hair.

"Get off of me!"

I growled and the one vampire drilled his knee harder into my back until I groaned.

"You. Head back and let him know she's here and that we're bringing her back."

He commanded again, and a vampire beside him instantly fled through the hole in the roof. The vampire making all the commands approached me with a grin, crouching down in front of me. He ran his cold fingers down my cheek and I flinched, trying to tug free, but the one restraining me only buried his knee further into my back. As I nearly cried out, the other covered my mouth and shushed me.

"We're just going to have a little fun with you before we take you to Ikar. But don't worry, we're not as rough as him. Now stand her up."

The vampire restraining me stood off my back and yanked me onto my feet. This wasn't the Council, I was sure. But.. I can't do this anymore. I was tired of running. Everywhere I went I was getting attacked or innocent people were dying because of me. There was no end. I was never going to be able to escape this. So.. what was the point?

Point of View: Zero Kiryu

"Zero, where are you going?"