Longing

Point of View: Mika Sasaki

Quickly pulling the black sweater on and lifting my hair out, wavy locks falling to my hips, I zipped the red and black striped skirt up. There was a hard knock on the bathroom door and I was quick to open it. Zero was so impatient.

"Sorry Zero I--"

But it wasn't Zero. It was a tall man in a black, hooded cloak, a cloak I remember all too well. His hand was around my throat then, lifting me into the air, I could see his red, hungry eyes under his hood. Behind him I could see the older lady's legs sticking out from behind the counter in a pool of her own blood. Many other cloaked vampires standing in the store, smirking at me.

"What did you do! She had nothing to do with--"

I choked as he squeezed my throat so tight I couldn't speak. I couldn't bare it anymore; why did so many innocent people have to die because of me! I swung my knee up into his face, blood gushing out of his nose. He groaned, releasing me to cup his nose. Grabbing him by the back of his head, I flipped him over my shoulder and then threw him through the bathroom wall. Gunshots came down heavily through roof at the other vampires, piercing them, their bodies catching fire and crumbling to ash. Seconds later, Zero came crashing down through that same spot in the roof he shot at, landing with ease before shifting around the store with enormous speed, firing and killing without hesitation. But he was hurt, his shoulder gashed open, blood staining his white, collared button-up.

"Mika, watch out!"

I watched Zero mouth the words before a sharp pain brought me to my knees, my chest arched with a sword sticking out it. Zero fired and struck the vampire behind me, his body disbursing into flames and then ash. He was at my side in seconds, kneeling, holding me in his arms. I flinched as I could feel him grab the handle of the sword.

"I have to pull it out!"

I clammed my eyes shut, bracing myself. Zero pulled the blade out as swiftly as possible and I nearly screamed, grabbing his hand. He tossed the sword aside and picked me up, carrying me in both arms. My chest started to throb, but it wasn't from the stab wound.

"Zero..are you okay?"

I asked as I fought to keep my heavy eyes open, my body feeling like it was on fire. I saw him smile briefly down at me, shaking his head.

"You just took a sword to the chest and you're asking me if I'm okay?"

Looking up at Zero, my attention suddenly drifted to his neck and I could see the veins underneath his cold skin. He noticed and his eyes met with mine, but he looked puzzled.

"Your eyes, they're red."

He whispered, but I had smelt blood and was too engulfed in finding the source. I tried sitting up in his arms and let out a soft cry, my chest was numb but the throbbing was worse. As Zero carried me towards the door, I saw the blood was from the sweet old lady and I threw my hand against my mouth, in shock as I realized I smelt her blood because.. I wanted it.

Suddenly, sirens sounded across town and Zero held me closer to his chest.

"This just isn't my day. We have to go, hold on."

He leaped with such immense speed through the same hole in the roof, running across rooftops until he landed on top the stable with a heavy thump. The horses, startled, started to pace and stomp in their stalls. He dropped into the tall grass behind the stable, gently laying me down. I snatched his forearm.