If Only You Knew

Jennie plastered a smile onto her face. "It's nothing," she told Lisa after a drawn-out pause. "My mind wanders sometimes," she shared, which was an understatement, but the truth seemed irrelevant.

Earlier conversations made it clear Lisa appeared to believe in the rumor, taking it for truth without question, and Jennie wanted Lisa to know it wasn't, though she asked herself if it mattered whether Lisa knew or not. It wouldn't change their arrangement, aside from the fact she had no experience.

"My mind does that, too," Lisa replied with a soft smile. She grasped Jennie's left hand and ran her thumb across her palm. "Almost healed," she noted, pressing her lips to the fading cut. "You're beautiful," she whispered, blushing fiercely.

Jennie felt her cheeks heat up. "So are you," she said in earnest. Her lips parted in a breathless gasp when Lisa kissed the palm of her hand again. It was a sweet gesture, causing butterflies to erupt in the pit of her stomach.

"Did you have a bite to eat yet?" Lisa questioned, letting go of Jennie's hand. "I still owe you a pizza or something."

"Truth be told, I did eat," Jennie revealed. "But if you haven't yet, we could order something."

"I did, too. I wasn't sure if you had or not, so I figured I'd ask. Rain check?"

"Sounds good to me," Jennie agreed, although she wondered what was going to happen to her connection with Lisa after everything was said and done. She hoped it wouldn't be awkward for them to remain friends, even if that seemed inevitable, considering she was falling in love with Lisa.

"Can I get you something to drink?" Jennie asked, wandering over to the refrigerator. "I have water and lemonade."

Lisa peered around, eyes lingering a beat longer on Jennie's bedroom than the rest of the place. She glanced at the clock, chewing her lip.

"Lisa?" Jennie asked, frowning when Lisa's heard whipped toward her. "You're not on a curfew, are you?" she checked with a humored chuckle.

"No, no, not at all!" Lisa answered, running a hand through her hair, smiling shyly while her cheeks reddened. "I just, it's, ah, time flies around you, and I wanted to make sure I didn't somehow blink while an hour or something went by," she explained, clasping her hands together for a second, placing them on her hips next.

Jennie agreed time did fly when they were together. "Water or lemonade?" she questioned, holding a can of lemonade and a bottle of water, wiggling it a bit to make sure Lisa noticed this time.

"I'll have what you're having."

"Water it is," Jennie decided, thinking how they generally drank water, and it was much more refreshing anyway.

Jennie rummaged through the cupboard, grasping two glasses. "Feel free to make yourself at home," she offered, pouring their drinks, standing with her back toward Kara.

"Can I give you a hand with those?" Lisa asked, suddenly standing right behind Jennie.

Jennie startled enough to spill some of the water over her fingers. "Jesus, Lis, don't sneak up on me like that," she whispered, steadying herself as she turned around, and oh god, that made it worse because now she was nearly nose to nose with Lisa.

Lisa's smile had a hint of an apology. "Bad conscience?"

"Hmm?" Jennie hummed, thrusting one of the glasses into Lisa's hands.

"It's a silly thing people say," Lisa brushed off, walking away with her glass in her hands. "I thought that maybe you had something on your mind that made you startle so easily. Gosh, what am I saying, I know you have things on your mind. You said before your mind wanders sometimes," she rambled, pausing to sip from her water. "I'm not making much sense am I?" she sighed.