Chapter 8 *Angel*

Hannah.  Her name is Hannah.  So simple.  One favored by God.  How ironic.

    I walked into my Spanish 3 class feeling ridiculous.  After I had turned in my painting, Mr. Pearl continued to note the dtail on my stupid owl, and wonder who’s eyes I used.

    I would never tell.

    “Hey.”

    I jerked at the shout in my ear, only to realize it was a whisper from the guy behind me.

    He was blonde, and solid.  But his face was bright and friendly.

    “I’m Joe.  You’re the new kid?”  He was staring at my dog tags, which made me sigh with relief.

    “Yeah.  I’m Kameron.”  I nodded.

    “Cool,” he smiled, and I took that moment to turn back around.

    Where the teacher was smiling at me from her desk.

    I knew her from somewhere.

    Her eyes glittered as I tried to recognize her.

    “Welcome back class.  I hope you had lots of rest.”  Her voice was beautiful, with a slight accent.

    Maria.  She looked so different.  Last time I saw her, she was a waitress in this little bar in Texas.  A small, brown haired, blue eyed mistress.

    Now she was taller, red haired, and wore glasses.  And not as much makeup.

    I smiled and leaned back in my seat.  This class was going to be a breeze.

    “Kameron right?” Maria smiled, obviously remembering me.  Despite my horrible new name.

    “Yes, ma’am,” I snickered.

    Maria roller her eyes.  “Nice to meet you.  I’m Mrs. Lena.”

    I dipped my head in acknowledgement.

    And that’s how Spanish went.   

“Ok class, adios.”

    I stood up as the bell rung, and went to Maria’s desk, and she looked up from the papers she was grading.

    I glanced at the last kid leaving the room, and then turned back to her.

    “Immortality is treating you well Sam,” she smiled, her teeth as white as snow against her pale lips.

    “Same to you, Maria.” I grinned at the memory of stolen kisses in my old pick up truck.

    “It’s Ann now,” she corrected, looking back down at her papers.

    “Maria,” I began, about to explain why I left her.

    “Don’t Sam,” she muttered.  “We can’t be together again anyways.”

    I cocked my head.  “Why not?” I wondered, curious.

    She looked up again, and waved two fingers in my face.  “One, I’m your teacher.  Two, I’m married now.”

    I was about to laugh at her joke, when I saw the unfamiliar wedding band on her finger.

    “Six years now, “ she continued, “and I love him to death.”

    Suddenly, I was angry,  “Why did you do that!?” I demanded.  “What are you going to do twenty years from now and you look exactly the same?  Lie to him?”

    Maria shrugged.  “Tell him I’m not mortal, I guess.”

    My jaw went slack.  “You would reveal you identity to a mere human.  Over what?  Love?” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.  I.  Could.  Not.  Believe.  It.

    She shrugged.  “Yeah.  Like I said earlier: I love him.”

    “God Maria,” I growled, turning my back to her, “you’re so ignorant.”

    I passed the threshold of the classroom, just to hear Maria whisper,

    “Trust me, Sam.  Love is undeniable.”