Parent Trap (Part 10)

Sunday, August 26, 2018

It's a few hours before the new work week began and while I did not get to physically rest, I did enjoy this "layover" in Davao, which, a few hours ago, an idea that sounded incredulous. We were told that we will be flying tonight through a private jet back to Manila. We went back to the house in the city and prepared our stuff.

"Thank you, Tricia. It was really nice talking to you," The President said and extended his hand. I approached him and hugged him instead. "It was also a pleasure to talk to you sir."

"Next time your sisters are at home, magpunta lang kayo dito, itour kayo ni Veronica," he said, looking at Veronica. She rolled her eyes and nodded. We laughed.

While Mama and Veronica were arranging the pasalubong that we will bring home (they always leave me with the President) I grabbed this chance to tell him something.

"Sir,"

"Yes ma'am?"

"Um, I'd like you to know that my mama never, ever, wanted to pick a fight with you. She values whatever relationship she has with you. Please don't say she's incompetent and other derogatory stuff because you know she is not like that. I hope you respect her as much as she respects you." I say boldly and look him at the eye.

"I'm so sorry for the words I've said. Yes I know she's not like that and I also, will never pick a fight with her. If you can find space in your heart to forgive me,"

"Please don't do it again sir."

He looked at me in the eye and nodded, then looking down.

I wonder what's going on through his head. He did look sincere and sounded apologetic in his words. I hugged him again.

"Thank you for taking care of mama. She always prays for your health. Please pray for hers too."

He hugged back. I felt his head move in my shoulders. I suddenly missed Papa.

They bid us goodbye and I hugged Veronica. I never expected she would be this accommodating, Ate's right. I know she's also fighting battles of her own and I can only wish her well. We told her to tell us if she'll be in Manila and we'll tour her around.

The President shook Mama's hand. We waved them goodbye until their house was no longer in sight.

"What did the President tell you Mama?"

"Hmm, we're supposed to meet tomorrow but – "

"But what?"

"But, we will not. So kung ano mang sasabihin niya sana bukas e, ngayon na nya sinabi."

"27 tomorrow right? National Heroes' Day? Di ba you attend that event yearly?"

"Yes, but something came up." She looked at her fingers on her lap.

She then held my hand and looked at me.

"Let's pray Trish."

Whatever the reason why she's not attending the event tomorrow must be serious. I nodded.

"Are you ok? Is he ok?"

Mama smiled at me. "Yes he is. He came transparent kanina, sa akin. Sabi niya, I needed to know."

"Mama,"

"Hmm,"

I wanted to ask about what Veronica and I talked about earlier but..

"Mama, are you dating him?"

"Who?"

"The President."

She blinked.

"We're not dating."

"Promise?"

"We're just seeing each other for work. And then some," She smiled and teased me.

"MAMA!" She laughed.

"He," she started as she looked down at her wedding ring, "He acknowledges him." She held her wedding ring. She looked at me. "Alam niyang, we're both..

Never going to be enough for each other."

I looked at her. She smiled weakly.

Silence.

"Eh ano ung and then some?"

She laughed.

"Wala yun," she answered shyly. I looked at her in disbelief. But looking at her smile like that, smile like that to him, I felt weirdly relieved. It's weird because they both acknowledge it's never going to work but they still work for it. How do you call that?

Ang gulo di ba?  So saan kaming mga anak lulugar neto? 

"Ma, ano yung wala yun?" I held her shoulders as we laugh together.

"Wala, ano, ano ba yung tawag niyo dun – "

"Wag ako, Ma!"

She laughed more. "Flirt ba yun?"

"Ayoko na!" I raised my hand in exasperation. She laughed harder.

I looked at her and smiled. I hugged her tight and she hugged back. She's so happy now I want her to be always happy like that.

Whatever the President is doing to make her happy like that, well,

Good job, Mr. President.

-- 

P.S. End of this one shot series! <3 

Hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. :)