Parent Trap (Part 8)

Sunday, August 26, 2018

The people looked amused and were taking pictures of us. The person who led us in gave us the history of Jack Ridge. The place was once the headquarters of the Japanese Imperial Army during World War II, which served as their watchtower against the American forces as it sits on top of a high and very steep slope. We were further led to Karlo's Gourmet and Coffee, a café that, I was told, serves French and Italian Cuisines.

Going there, I noticed that some people turned their heads and noticed Mama. Some were snapping pictures, some were smiling but looked hesitant - unsure if they could come to her and ask for a selfie. She smiled and waved at them as some clapped at her. I felt relieved – everyone's thinking that people in the President's hometown does not like Mama.

When we entered, we were led to a spot where it is overlooking the city and the gulf. It was so beautiful with all the lights scattered down below. There were only a few customers inside and tables were arranged for us. The security also took their posts.

Some of the customers asked Mama for a picture. We politely obliged. They were so happy to see her, some of the older women say and they also told her she's very beautiful in person. I am a proud daughter.

After a few minutes I heard loud cheers from the outside. The President is here. I noticed that some people from nearby restaurants were now outside the café, looking at us, amused. The President entered the café and beside him, Veronica. Mama and the President shook hands and Veronica and I hugged each other. People clapped their hands. I felt like were actors and actresses only that we're not.

"I brought the cake we baked," Veronica chirped to Mama and they made beso beso. They also sat beside each other so I sat beside the President. Ibebeso beso ko din ba siya, ano ba naman to, I thought but he extended his hand towards me and we shake hands as he bowed to me.

The food started coming in and I thought we're going to eat in silence but Mama, started telling stories, and I realized that she's finally comfortable with her company. I noticed that the President is listening intently at her and making eye contacts. Veronica looks at Mama and I look at the President.

Yeah, we're like chaperoning these two in their date.

"I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for well, coming here even though you're not supposed to." The President said and we laughed. "There's this thing, if it is okay, Tricia, your mama and I will have to discuss later." I nodded at the request for private conversation. "Anyway, kanina, Tricia was with me sa Hope, eh nakita niya akong mag-iyak." He narrated and we laughed.

"You did not," Veronica remarked.

"Of course I did," The President replied and we laughed again.

"I've been visiting that place for as long as I can remember. I've seen some kids come and go and heal and die.. wala ganun talaga. I've always been shedding tears there they can probably dig a well and make it a ano ba yun," he faced me, "yung tinatapunan ng barya?" We laughed.

"Wishing well, sir."

"Ayun. Kako, makapag-ipon pa sila ng barya sa mga mag-wiwish, hindi naman magkakatotoo." We laughed again.

"Lahat daw po ng magwish dun tutuparin ni Mr. President yung wish para mas madami ung magwish and mas dumami ung donations." I remarked and they laughed.

I loosen up and told stories of my clerkship while they listened on. Never did I wish for this situation to happen and it is unbelievably, happening now. Mama beamed at me and mouthed, I am proud of you and I held back tears.

--