Gonna Fly Now

AN: No excuses for not updating aside laziness and being comfy. Oh and sleeping. Due to my love of Rocky Balboa this chapter is dedicated to the song Gonna Fly Now.

Your PoV

Rainbow was an odd experience to tell the truth. Every day was training for unit cohesion under different leaders, teams, and scenarios. Over the past week I had made an acquaintance out of Aleksandr, Maxim, and Marius. The rest I simply had ignored or gave passing greetings to.

As the week went by so did my ruminations for making a gadget to match the rest of the Operators, I had a few ideas, but nothing solid yet as I was still in the planning phase.

In any case most of my acquaintances were out and about doing their jobs, leaving me to simply walk aimlessly until I found something to busy me. Passing by the shooting range I glanced inside to see Elżbieta in it. Using her Skorpion to fire at the targets down range with...Extreme anger? Her posture was stiff, and her shoulders were set as if she was ready to lash out at anything. Frowning at her, I knew what that anger could do...Get someone killed if handled improperly. By her hand or someone else's. Sighing to myself since nobody else was around I knew that leaving her like this would have negative consequences if not dealt with, walking inside I spoke to get her attention. "If you're trying to get some anger out its easier to punch something rather than shoot it out."

And upon my spoken words she snapped around about to tell off, or likely yell at me before pausing and taking a few breaths. "No punching bags around here sadly." She said half as an excuse and half as an explanation.

Shrugging I beckoned her closer. "Sparring a couple rounds works just as well." I remarked, wrapping my hands up for the fight, already in what could be considered training gear. Before entering an offensive stance, spacing myself apart for combat, I was going to use the Israeli Krav Maga a fighting style taught to the Israeli army for self defense. Ela quickly sighed before realizing she'd not get out of this either. Before entering a stance of her own, Aikido. Her spacing was a tad off, she decided to start the fight off, aiming a high kick towards my shoulder I calmly gripped her leg in my hand before remarking "Aikido needs work. Spacing's for shit."

This didn't help her anger. In fact it set her off entirely as I shoved her away, remaining calm was always a necessity in a fight, before she went for a few quick jabs to my chest. Which made contact causing me to grunt. "Krav Maga needs work, your defense is worth shit."

Ela mocked me using my own words, causing a small almost imperceptible smile to cross my face before beginning to strike her in turn.

This went back and forth for nearly an hour as we continued striking each other and trading words. Finally, both of us covered in sweat and tired I asked her the main question "that anger all gone now?"

She'd been panting, similarly to me before nodding. "Thanks Checkmate.."  She'd say gratefully. Pausing now she'd speak up.

"You're not the only one here with issues regarding your father. Well. fathers in general." She alluded to me, causing me to wonder...Just how many people here shared in my pain over a deadbeat father who ran?

"I'll keep that in mind." I grunted back to her, giving her a nod in thanks which she returned.

"...Call me Y/N. That's what my...acquaintances call me." I mumbled loud enough for Ela to hear. We just sparred for an hour. That probably qualifies us as sparring buddies or acquaintances.

"Then call me Elżbieta, unless you prefer Ela which is shorter." She returned holding her hand out, I stared at it for a few moments before deciding to shake it.

"Elżbieta it is."

I stated in finality. Before beginning to walk outside the training room. "If you're ever wound up again call me, I'll be willing to do this again." I called back before heading to the drafting table inside the shared room with Marius...I had finally a small idea of what to make my gadget to contribute to Rainbow. But I'd need his help to make it. And after that I'd be ready to serve.

AN: Again mostly filler with a start on how their friendship begins. Expect next chapter to deal with Thatcher.