Chapter 13

When I wake up in the morning I feel nothing. I'm numb to fear that I had felt last night, the sadness that Shane is leaving today, and the pain that I feel only slightly from my wrist. I mechanically flip my wrist over and stare at it. There on the underside of wrist, right on my pulsepoint below my marking  there are red imprints of fingers that are turning a bluish-purple around the edges. I don't feel anything until I stupidly touch the markings with my own fingers. I hiss in pain and yank my fingers away from the bruising. I get up to get ready so I could go to lunch with Shane one last time, and of course Landon is coming with. 

    I quickly shower, dry, brush my hair. Then I brush my teeth, and before getting dressed I put on a little makeup. I walk back to my suitcase and pull out a white crop top, black high waisted jeans, and my white sneakers. I put the clothes on. Once I had finished getting dressed, I walked down the hall to Shane's room. I knocked on the door, and two seconds later Shane opens the door fully dressed pulling his suitcase behind him. The slight makes my heart start to pound, and I feel as though I could cry, but I won't. I will stay strong for our safety. 

 "Ready?" I ask though I already know the answer.

    "Yeah.." he responds half heartedly.

We walk out of the hotel as soon as Shane returned his key to the front desk. And of course as soon as we walk out Landon is standing there waiting on us. If we hadn't had told him yesterday night that we were going to meet him outside of the hotel at this time then this would have been extremely creepy. 

We all walk in silence to a cozy little diner down the street from our hotel. Apparently the diner makes the best burgers, fries, and milkshakes. I could use some greasy food, hopefully it will make me feel better. We walk into the diner to the hostess stand, where we tell her that we need a table for three. She picks up some menus, and we follow her as she leads us to a booth. I scoot on the inside of the one farthest away from the door. Landon scoots in beside me and Shane takes a seat on the bench across from us. I stare at the menu not wanting to look at Landon or Shane. All the while Shane and Landon are making small talk.

I snap my head up when I feel a warm hand grasp the top of mine that had been resting on the table. I stare at Landon with curiosity. 

"Shane, there is something that we need to tell you." Landon starts.

I am so confused. What the hell is going on? What do we have to tell him.

"We are getting married next weekend." Landon says.

I feel my heart drop as though I just jumped off a cliff. I looked at Shane and I gave him the fakest smile that I can muster. Shane's face has completely changed. He looked as though he could punch Landon in the face. I know this because I know him, but I just hope that to Landon it's not as obvious. 

Just as Shane looks as though he is going to say something the waitress comes over to take our orders. I order a cheeseburger, fries and a strawberry milkshake. I am too busy thinking about this bomb that Landon just dropped to hear what Shane and Landon have order. When the waitress walks away, Landon gets up and says that he's going to the bathroom. I watch him as he walks into the restroom. I stretch lifting my arms above my head. Shane looks at my wrist and then he snaps his gaze to my face. I pull my arms down back to rest them on the table.

"What the hell happened." Shane says grabbing my hair and turning my wrist over. He looks at my bruises.

"Umm.. it's nothing." I say pulling my arm away.

"Did he do this to you?" He asks. 

I can't speak and I can't breathe. 

"Did he?" He almost yells.

I can't do anything but shake my head yes. I can't even look him in the eyes. Just as I look back up Landon walks back to the table. And not far behind Landon comes the waitress with our food. I devour my food quickly. 

We made small talk while we ate. And I silently willed Shane not to say anything to Landon about the bruises that adorn my arm. And he doesn't. When we finish eating, we called the waitress over to pay and then we leave. 

Landon and I walk Shane to his car. Shane looks at me with sad eyes. He gives a bro hug to Landon. Then he looks at me. He pulls me in tightly. 

"Are you going to be okay?" He asks me so quietly I barely hear it.

"I will be okay. Don't worry about me." I whisper back.

"I love you." He whispers.

"I love you too." I whisper.

He finally releases me. He gets into his car and he drives away. As he's driving away I try not to cry. I feel like I am losing a part of my soul, love and freedom.