Chapter 3

After the go-karting incident today Shane is very distant. I want to believe that there is something more between us. I can feel it every time he looks at me. It's breaking my heart knowing now that even if there is something between the two of us, there is no way that we could be together, and I think he knows it too.

My phone beeps. A hologram of a random Shadowland Council Member pops up into the thin air. I can see them, but they can't see me; however, it feels as if he is staring straight into my soul and can see all the thoughts that I know could get me killed. This sends a shiver down my spine and makes its way to my toes.

"Congratulations, Kiera Sawyer on receiving your mate. Your mate is located in Northhurst. His name is Landon Smith. You will be required to find him. Good Luck." With that he dissipates.

Northhurst was far from where I live now. This Landon guy lives in a town that is a two day trip away from the capital. I'm scared what if he wants me to move to Northhurst with him? I don't want to leave my whole life behind for someone I barely know.

I walk out of my front door almost robotic. I know there is only one person that could calm my nerves. I walk up to his front door and twist the knob letting myself in. I close the door behind me and say "Shane?".

He peeks his head out of his bedroom door. He smiles at me and starts walking to me. He has no shirt on, I try hard not to stare at his chiseled stomach and chest. When he notices that I am not smiling back, his expression changes immediately to worry.

"What's wrong?" He ask coming up and staring into my eyes.

"I found out that my mate lives in Northhurst, and I have to go find him." I say looking at the floor.

"Oh yeah, that sucks. Mine lives in Elmmington, and I have to go find her too."

Elmmington is twenty minutes farther than Northhurst, at least if we both had to leave everything we would be close together.

"Kiera are you listening to me?"

"I'm sorry what did you say?"

"I said that we could go find our mates together. If you wanted?"

"No, thanks."

"What," he asks confused, "Why not?"

"I don't want to go find him. I would rather have the government kill me." He gasps, I start to walk away from him.

"Why would you say that?"

"Because it's the truth. I don't want to marry someone that I don't even love especially when I'm already in love with someone."

I begin to cry the tears that I have been longing to cry for days. I cry for myself, for how unfair this life has turned out to be. I cry for everyone who ever had to marry someone that they did not love. I cry because I'll lose Shane. I cry for the love that we never got to pursue. I cry and I don't know if I will ever be able to stop.

Shane stares at me, taken aback that I'm crying since I never cry, then his instincts begin to take over. He grabs me by the waist pulling me into my arms. He rubs my back as I cry into his chest. He begins to whisper over and over that it will be okay, but I know nothing will be. I finally stop crying as hard as I was. I reluctantly pull away from him. He brushes the remaining tears off of my red hot face. He stares at me and then kisses my forehead.

"I love you," he hesitates, "best friend".

That breaks my heart but at the same time it gives me hope for us.

"Will you go to find our mates with me?"

"Sure." I smile weakly.