Chapter 1

Sun shines through my curtains creating a beam of light on my face which in turn interrupts my slumber. I quickly snap out of my half asleep state when I remember what day it is. I freak out as I realize what time it is now. I can't believe I almost forgot, I need to get upstairs to the apartment before the sleeping beast wakes up. I quickly grab jet black jeans, a white t-shirt, black tennis shoes and my signature shiny black leather jacket.

I rush around my apartment while putting my pants on as I am brushing my hair, so that it no longer looks like a birds nest. I go back to my bed once I finish brushing my hair and putting on my pants. I grab the white shirt then turn to run back into the bathroom to brush my teeth, because no one wants morning breathe. I put the shirt on while grabbing the toothbrush and toothpaste. As I pull the shirt down with one hand I stick the brush in my mouth and start scrubbing. I quickly brush, rinse, spit, and wipe my mouth while grabbing my shoes and shoving my feet into them. I finally grab my leather jacket and stick my arms through the holes.

I look into the mirror and I look unexpectedly look presentable for someone who got ready in under ten minutes. I run out of the apartment careful to lock the door behind me. I sprint up the stairs to the fourth floor of my apartment building. I see the apartment that I was looking for only feet in front of me. I smile seeing that it is completely black and the person it houses is asleep still. I reach the door and take out the key that I was given when we first moved here.

I enter the apartment as quietly as possible, careful not to disturb the sleeping bear. The apartment looks the same as mine considering that they all look the same, everything about this society is uniform. I walk back to the bedroom passing the boring white walls of his kitchen. I quietly open the door, and slip into his room. I look at the sleeping figure that is snoring lightly. I smirk at the event I know is going to unfold in the next ten seconds.

"SHANE! WAKE UP! IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!!" I scream while launching myself across my best friend and his bed.

Shane wakes up with a start. He throws his fist into the air. Everything moves in slow motion. His fist comes colliding with my cheek. It's hard but it is not hard enough to do any real damage considering Shane is still slightly asleep.

"Jesus. That hurt you asshat." I scold him.

"You know better than to wake me up in the morning, especially like that."

I just glare at him. People tend to not like Shane because he can be a real asshole sometimes. I am one of the only people who are not in his family that can tolerate him.

"Sorry, Kiera, I know you were just trying to be the first one to wish me Happy Birthday." He says showing all of his teeth, and hoping to make me forget about his fist hitting my face all of twenty seconds ago.

"Okay." I stare at him, "let me see it!"

"See what?" I stare at him as if he had grown two heads, "Oh".

Shane slowly lifts his arm and then lifts his sleeve up. His used to be perfect skin now bares the mark of his mate, an anchor. It seems fitting that he would be branded with this marking. I silently pray that tomorrow when I wake up I see the same symbol etched into my skin. He quickly covers his arm again, almost as if it burned him.

"What?" I ask noticing his sudden change in behavior.

"Nothing." I know not to push him, he would definitely snap simultaneously if I made him upset.

After a brief moment of silence I ask, "What do you want to do today?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shane and I spent the rest of the day together, like we do every birthday, and more like every day. We couldn't do much due to the fact that there are no fun things to do here in Shadowland. After the society was made, most of the fun activities were made illegal. There are still places that let adrenaline junkies like Shane and I get our fixes but you have to know how to find them. I made Shane his favorite breakfast, pancakes. Then, we spent the day looking at all different models and makes of cars and motorcycles that Shane knows he will never be able to afford, unless he gets assigned to a job that makes the most money; which is unlikely. Finally we go to dinner and then say goodnight, two hours before the midnight curfew comes around.

I walk up to my apartment door with Shane in tow behind me. I turn around to face him.

"I hope you had a good birthday."

"Yeah, thanks to you." Silence looms over the conversation like a dark cloud.

"Well, I will see you tomorrow, birthday girl." He says leaning down to kiss my head. My heart skips two beats.

"Goodnight."

I unlock my door and walk into my stark white kitchen. I turn on the too fluorescent lights and swint at the brightness. I walk down the white hallway to my bedroom. I turn on yet again another light. I slip off my clothes and put on my t-shirt and sleeping shorts. After brushing my teeth and washing my face, I walk back into the kitchen and turn off the light. Then I walk back to my room, almost robotically, and then turn off my bedroom light. I unmake my bed and slip under the covers.

My mind starts to wonder. I think back to this morning when I first saw Shane's mark. I knew that this would be the birthday that I got my marking but with Shane having got his, I just makes everything seem so real. I never wanted any of this for my life. I never wanted to have everything chosen for me, especially not who I love. It doesn't matter who they assign me to for my mate, my heart will only belong to one person. As I start slipping off to sleep the last thing I see is the mark of my one true soulmate, an anchor, being etched into my skin for eternity.