Chapter 8: First Mission

As I sat in the jet with the others, I found myself fiddling with all the buckles of my costume. It was my first field mission and I felt kind of nervous. "Don't be so nervous, I've got your back" Loki said, holding my hand as we flew to our destination. These past few days had been hard, I had to apologise to Thor for almost killing him in my moment of weakness and I had so much trouble with keeping my anger under control but luckily Loki helped me. It was kind of surprising to know that he was the same age as me when it came to earth years but I was glad to have a friend my age. We've been hanging out together often these past few days and you could even say that we were now best friends.

He has helped me alot and to think that my first impression of him was completely irrational. He even told me how he also despised his adopted brother Thor but learned to live with it because of this person he always seemed to talk about. I always wondered if she was a former member or maybe a childhood friend of his but he never told me her name, all I knew was that she was a she. 

We were on our way to Texas because there had been reports of people experimenting with mixing human genes with animal ones, making human and animal hybrids that were highly unstable. Someone created a serum that had the ability to turn people into animal hybrids. People were killed on account of the subjects being more animal than human so we were asked to infiltrate the facility to capture the hybrids and find a way to reverse the effects of the serum. "Animal control...t-this should be easy, right?" I mumbled to myself while Loki looked at me worriedly. "Are you sure you are well enough to handle this mission? You could just stay in the jet"

"Heh...Don't worry...I'll be fine. After all, you said you had my back, right?" he nodded, not letting go of my hand. I saw Mr. Barton scoff then he quietly mumbled to himself, "Get a room will ya'". I silently chuckled to myself. I felt much better now, more confident about the mission. All I had to do was knock out a bunch of scientists and capture human-animal hybrids. That's easy right? I love animals.

<><><>

Okay so I may have spoken too soon. I was now hiding behind a wall with Ms. Natasha as a bunch of scientists and guards shot at us with big guns. We both shot back of course but we had to wait until they had to re-load to shoot which gave us only a small amount of time to try and get closer to them. The others were making much more progress but they were more bullet-proof than I was. Sure, I had enhanced healing abilities thanks to being a dragon but it still hurt and I wasn't prepared for that much pain yet. When they stopped firing at us, I immediately jumped out of my hiding place and charged towards them with my dagger in hand. 

I managed to get a couple of guards and disarmed most of the scientists. "Watch out Thor, she might take your place as the second strongest Avenger if you keep fooling around like that" Mr. Barton snickered.

"Based on the sparring match, I think she already has" Loki said as he fought off several of the other guards. "How could you say that, brother. I thought you were supposed to be on my side" Thor whined as he used his lightning to destroy the large machines that were firing at us. "I would gladly take her side over yours, dear brother" Loki smirked then he glanced my way and I winked at him. I stuck my tongue out at Thor and he huffed. Who's petty now?

Somehow, I don't know how exactly, I ended up right next to Loki and we were fighting people left and right. I covered his back and he covered mine. It was actually starting to become fun. "How are you holding up?" I asked, chuckling a bit while I disarmed one guy and took another guys gun and began firing. "I'm doing well, how about you?" he smirked, quickly glancing back at me. I noticed that a guy was charging towards him with a dagger so I quickly moved infront of him then threw the guy over my back and he took care of the rest. "Focus..." I said to him and he nodded with a hint of pink on his cheeks.