Eternal Wynter Chapter 6

Hi everyone! I am so sorry for not updating sooner, but I had a very bad case of writers block. :/ Remember to vote and comment, and remember the surprise chapter when the story reaches 100 votes. Only 13 to go, so

Vote, vote vote!

Oh, and check out my new story: Ather Chronicles: River of Truth. The prologue will be published later today. :)

—————

Wynter broke the news so flat and hard that Crystal had to blink a few times -like a newborn animal no less- for her words to really sink in. How could Wynter speak of her own death so easily?

Wynter turned away from Crystal and started collecting the limp flowers that lay scattered around the room. She knew that Crystal would eventually snap out of her daze and start screaming, so she waited calmly.

The roses she touched were instantly rejuvenated. A thin layer of frost spread over them like wildfire and restored their beauty. Wynter suppressed a grimace at the thought of fire and calmly continued to collect the flowers. She went around the room, restoring pieces of icy furniture to their former glory and collecting flowers. After she did what she could to salvage everything, she dumped the roses into a large vase. Crystal had not yet recovered from the shock.

"It is most likely just a side-effect of Isabella's visit to the Court, Crystal. And it is only a matter of time before I overcome the curse of my past."

Crystal was finally snapped out of her shock. She reacted exactly how Wynter predicted.

"How can you say that? That isn't something you can beat so easily. Both powers are part of you, they need to be balanced. You can't just suppress one side. We need to ask someone about this. We need to-"

Crystal started pacing and mumbling incoherently. Wynter shook her head and turned toward the door, leaving Crystal to herself. She had not realised how long they had been working on the statue, even if it seemed like only seconds. She sighed and closed the doors behind her. Her skin was steaming slightly from her body's temperature, creating a small amount of mist around her.

She began walking, not exactly knowing where she was going. Around her, the castle walls glittered red as the sun set. People passed her in the hallways, each bowing their head in respect. She paid no notice to them, her mind was spinning to much. Eventually she came to a corridor that seemed abandoned. There were no jewels decorating the walls and the hallway was barren, lacking any sort of indication that it belonged in the castle.

Wynter strode over to a section of the wall that looked darker than the rest, giving off a dark blue hue. She closed her eyes and the section dissolved into thin air. A long, dark hallway was revealed, with diamonds and rubies glittering every few feet. Wynter slipped into the hallway and sealed the entrance again. As she plunged deeper into the hallway, torches lit up with blue fire. She sighed when she saw them, as it reminded her of her new problem. The hallway sloped downward and pierced the earth below the castle. The texture of the walls changed to solid rock and jagged edges poked at Wynter.

At the end of the hallway, the narrow tunnel suddenly opened up to reveal a large, circular room. It was a magnificent sight to behold. The dark earth was glazed with solid frost patterns creating the illusion of an oncoming storm. One section of the room was entirely filled with shelves holding curious and dangerous objects. In another section, books lined the wall and a magnificent sofa stood in front of it.

The centre of the room radiated pure magic. On a pedestal of black and blue ice, a Crystal Orb lay like a tiger waiting to pounce on its prey. The orb pulsed with magic and created an aura of energy matching the one Wynter had created minutes ago. The inside of the orb was white with smokey mist. Wynter strode over to the orb and touched the surface. A brilliant white light shot from the orb, blinding Wynter for a few moments. When the light faded two smokey figures stood before her.