Eternal Wynter Chapter 12

I'm a crappy author, I know. I could blame it on the exams, but that would be bad taste. Anyway, enjoy!

Wynter stepped back from the flames licking at her. The tugging, burning sensation in her stomach intensified. Her eyes widened with realisation. Alexia returned to her normal form, her eyes pleading.

"You see, I need to know. I, I need you to help me." Wynter averted her eyes from the girl. "Child, this is something you cannot yet understand. You, your condition is connected to me and mine." Alexia sat down on her large bed, grabbing a small dragon toy.

"Please."

Her pleading eyes evoked a feeling that even Crystal had never pulled from her. The Heart's glow was almost invisible. This emotion was and had never been trapped in the Heart. Wynter walked over to the girl and sat down next to her. She draped a hesitant arm over Alexia.

"I will tell you, but you must swear not to tell another soul, living or dead, of this. Understood?" Alexia nodded and cuddled into Wynter's side. Wynter had to swallow a whirlwind of emotions that the gesture pulled from both the heart and herself.
"You and your siblings are destined to take back this realm from the king and restore your parents from their banishment."

"My parents aren't banished." The child formed her words carefully, like she was experimenting with a new toy. Wynter sighed.

"Your parents as you know them are not your parents. Your birth parents are trapped in the realm of Shades."

Alexia looked up at Wynter. "Really? Is that why I do not..." She lowered her head. "My sisters and brothers do not like me. I throught it was because I am the youngest."

Wynter stared at the girl. This was a young child that should have jumped up, protesting against Wynter's words. Yet she was accepting it, as if she knew. As if she had always known.

"I am afraid to say more, child. I will tell you this. I know now why I have fire within me. I have been keeping it safe to fuel you when the time comes." Alexia looked up in fear.

"More power? How? I cannot control the ones I have." Wynter started rubbing Alexia's back soothingly.

"I know you must be frightened, child. This is something beyond your young understanding, but the power is not yours yet. Until you are older, I will gladly guard your fire."

"How will I get the powers?" Alexia asked. A small smile unknowingly tugged at the corners of Wynter's lips.

"There is a spell to exchange powers in my realm. I will use it once you are older." The smile was wiped from Wynter's face when she realised something. "Your twin!" She exclaimed. Wynter pulled away from Alexia and stood. "She is in my kingdom. Your family will be coming to the Solstice..."

Wynter was worried. If the girl's twin was seen by anyone from Ather, it could put everyone in a very dangerous situation. Her twin had the same dark hair, but silver and purple streaks, instead of red, flashed through her hair. Her eyes were a dark blue, ringed with silver. That would not keep the Atherians from noticing their similarities.

"What do you mean my twin?" Alexia asked. Her eyes were bright with excitement.

"You have a blood sister in my realm, child. That must be how you have seen me in your dreams. Your connection to your twin allows you to see some of her world, as she must be seeing some of yours."

Alexia grinned. "A real sister! Do you think she would like me?" Wynter felt her heart tug. The pure innocence of this child was a painful reminder of what she had lost.

"She would be proud to have a sister like you." Alexia threw herself at Wynter to hug the Ice Queen. "Alexia, I cannot help you with controlling your powers, only give you a way to subdue them. If I infuse my Ice into an object and you wear it, your fire will weaken. You will not be able to acess the pheonix within."

Alexia looked up, wide eyed. "You could do this?"

Wynter nodded. "Yes, I can and I shall. For you and the entire realm."

Alexia let go of Wynter and curtsied. "Thank you."

Footsteps reasonated through the corridors and the door swung open. Grant and his son, Gale, was standing in the doorway. "Alexia, what are you doing?" Gale asked. Wynter could see the girl steeling herself against Gale.

"I was just showing the Queen my room. I thought she would like it." Grant's accusing eyes swept over to Wynter, who shrugged.

"The child only wanted to show me her room. It is quite nice. Now, I must ask. May we stay for the night? It would only be proper, so I may see more of the people I have invited to the Solstice." Grant nodded and held out his arm for Wynter to take.

"Of course. Come with me, I shall show you to your quarters." Wynter took his arm grugingly. The walk through the castle was painfully slow. Every corner they turned revealed servants dusting and cleaning the spotless decorations.

Wynter grimaced at the sight. A memory tugged at her mind, wanted her to release it from its prison, but Wynter held fast. She knew she shouldn't let it out - one small slipup and the Heart's already weakend magic might crumble. Crumble and bring forth the old part of herself - the part that could not control the power wilthin her.

Her thoughts drifted to Alexia. The child was the first pheonix in centuries and the first to be so powerful. Wynter knew the powers inside her was meant to be the girl's power. How, she did not underdstand. All she knew is that the flame inside her had been calling to the child, wanting to join her. The power had not tried to hurt her, like it had when the war inside her had raged. Instead it was a soft tugging towards its master.

Grant stopped in front of a redwood door and bowed. "Will we be seeing you at dinner, my lady?" Wynter didn't like the tone of voice he used, but she decided to let it go.

"Yes you will. Grace and I will come as soon as someone is sent to collect us." She paused. "Where is Grace?" Grant smiled tightly.

"She requested to be showed to a room early, she was not feeling well."

Wynter nodded. "Thank you. I will see you tonight."

***
Votes
And
Comments
Make happy authors! :)