Eternal Wynter Chapter 11

"My lady?" Grace asked as she entered the Queens quarters.

Wynter was now dressed in a stark white gown with light, barely visible patterns decorating the fabric. She turned away from the window she was staring out of and regarded Grace. Grace curtsied and straightened. "I was told you needed my assistance." Wynter nodded.

"Indeed. Isabella rarely speaks to anyone of this, but I presume you, being her right hand maid for so long, would know of Ather."

 Grace nodded. "I do."

 "I require you to accompany me there so I can personally deliver an invitation to the king." Wynter spat the word king like it was a poisonous snake. Grace stared uncomprehendingly at Wynter.

 "Ather? You want me to go to Ather?" Wynter nodded and swept passed Grace into the hallway. Grace followed behind her, like a dog following its master. "Why?" She asked as Wynter came to a stop. Before them lay the sealed-off courtyard.

 Wynter turned to her, eyes blazing. "Crystal is my usual companion to Ather, but she has been violated by the king. Until the Five reclaim Ather, she will not set foot there again. You, Grace, are the best choice to replace her on this journey." Wynter stopped to draw a breath before continuing. "You are the only one I can take without endangering my agreement with him."

 A guard approached Wynter with two satchels in his hands. Wynter took the satchels and handed one to Grace before thanking the guard. "We must go." Wynter produced a tiny sphere from one of the satchels and threw it on the steps in front of her. A blazing portal appeared in front of her, swirling inward like a cyclone.

 She had to picture her destination, or she could end up in the wrong place. Luckily she knew where Grant would be, in the kingdom of Fire. "Come." Wynter said and grabbed hold of Grace's arm. She guided them toward the portal and stepped into the swirling vortex.

As usual, the experience of travelling through realms was less than pleasant. Her stomach rolled around, her mind scattered. Boxed memories swirled around her, demanding attention. Portals always weakened her mind, her will to keep things to herself. This time the onslaught was even worse.

 She stepped out of the portal before things could get any worse and was greeted by a blazing sun beating down on her fair skin. Next to her, Grace stumbled out of the portal, followed by the guard. The portal closed with a popping sound and disappeared.

 Wynter took in the sight before her. A large square castle with turrets poking out of each corner. It was a bland, greystone building, but high and mighty at the same time. Wynter lifted her chin and headed for the main gates of the castle. She tried to ignore the blinding tugging pain in her gut. This was the home of fire, the element that was destroying her.

 Shouts rang from the inside of the castle and armed guards formed a circle around the tiny group. Wynter held out her hands as a sign of peace. "I am here on a mission of peace. I have come to extend an invitation to your king." She bit her tongue after she said that. She did not want their ruler at her festival, only the High king. She had misspoken, but she could not take the invitation back.

 Several people spilled from the doors of the castle. Two regally dressed men, two woman and at least seven children, which did not improve her mood. All of them rushed toward Wynter. "Peace!" Cried the man with greying hair and dark blue eyes. Grant, Wynter thought bitterly. She wanted nothing more than to wrap her hands around his throat and end his life, but she stayed impassive.

 "This is a welcome surprise!" He exclaimed. His eyes travelled to Grace and he frowned when he saw her. "Where is Crystal?" He asked. Wynter clenched her teeth for a moment, before stating coolly, "She is in bed with a fever." She drew an invitation from her satchel and presented it to Grant. "I fear that my invitation to the Solstice festival did not reach you. I have come to deliver it to you personally."