Eternal Wynter Chapter 13

Wynter stared out over the dry landscape that surrounded the Fire castle. She couldn't keep her thoughts from drifting back and forth between Hayden and Alexia.

Hayden - The Empath that could destroy her world or save it.
Alexia - The pheonix that was destined to reclaim the thone of Ather for the High Royal family, but seemed to afraid to do so.

It was unfair to judge Alexia at that point, she was just a child. Hayden on the other hand... For a moment she remembered his arms on the sides of her head, his breath tickling her lips, his dry skin aginst her fingertips... Wynter gasped and gripped the windowsill.

No!  She commanded herself.. Stay in control.

When she opened her eyes, her breath hitched. Where her hands touched the pane, ice spread outward, spiralling up the window and creeping down toward the floor. She retracted her hand gently, control coming back to her.

I am Wynter.  I control my actions. Emotions do not deter me.

"My lady." Grace's weak voice drifted to Wynter's ears. The Ice Queen clenched her fist and the ice on the windowpane disappeared. The faintest trace of a smile tuggged at her lips at the feat.

"Yes, Grace." Wynter turned toward the girl amd almost gasped out loud.  The poor girl looked like she was on her deathbed. Her skin was so pale, it seemed to match Wynter's own. Her eyes had lost their fierceness - dull, tired eyes glanced at Wynter. She was flushed and sweat beadeed on her forehead.

"Good Heavens, what's wrong?" Wynter had known Crystal was not feeling well and lay in the room vonnected to the one she was in, but she hadn't expected this. She rushed forward and steadied Grace.

"I'm sorry to trouble you, but I think I might need to see a physician." Grace leaned heavily on Wynter. She was extraordinarily warm, even to Wynter's icy touch.

"I agree. Come, I'll help you."

Together, the two women struggled out of the room. Grace did not make it ten steps before she collapsed. She slipped out of Wynter's grasp and fell to the floor. Her head tilted to the side, revealing a rash. Servants came rushing forward, but Wynter held up her hand.

"Find your King and tell him to bring a physician. Also tell him to bring some Rosemary."
Two rushed off to find the Fire King. Wynter gently touched the rash. It burned her fingers and she retracted her hand with a hiss. She had heard stories about what could happen if those that were from New Realms crossed into an Original Realm. 

Being who she was, the curse did not affect Wynter and it had never affected Crystal, but Grace's current state could only be explained with the curse. 

The Royals arrived in a flurry of cloaks. "What happened?" The Fire Queen spoke in a motherly,  concerned voice.

Wynter signalled the pysician forward and took the Sage from his hands, broke the leaves into small pieces and placed them under Grace's tongue.

"I am afraid that Grace is suffering from an ailment that you cannot treat. We must return to our own realm as soon as possible."

"Allow me, my lady." The guard that had come with them stepped forward. And took the unconscious Grace into his arms. Where he had come from, Wynter did not know.

She straightened and looked at the Royals. Alexia hid behind her mother's skirts, peeking at the scene. wynter bit the inside of her cheek. She would not have time to create an object for the girl before she left..

"I apologise for the inconvenience Grace's condition has caused. Rest assured that this will not change anything."

Wynter looked Alexia straight. In the eyes. "If you come to the Solstice, there will be gifts to honor your presence."

The worry melted from the otttle girl's face. She grinned at Wynter, like she had told the girl a secret. Then she let go of her mother's dress and disappeared down the corridor.

Wynter turned to the guard. "Take her to the gate. I will be with you shortly."

She nodded at the Royal party and went back to her quarters, where the satchel with the second sphere lay. She took the tiny sphere out of the bagel and turned it over in her hands.

"Do not forget this,Wynter." Grant's voice invaded her ears from behind. She turned and found him holding Grace's satchel.

A smile she could not decipher played on his lips. He came forward and pressed the bag into her hand. "There is something different about you."

He touched the Heart around Wynter's neck gingerly. Wynter's eyes hardened. "You are right, of course." She gripped Grant's wrist and moved it away from the Heart.

"I am? Tell me, what has changed?" The sparkle in his eyes became recognisable. Lust.

The gears began turning in Wynter's mind. She remembered the time they met and every other moment they spent together. That lust had always been there.

Wynter recoiled. Her stomach churned when she realised something - Grant had only gone after Crystal because he couldn't have her.

She let go of his wrist. Her voice dipped, becoming as icy as it always was. "I have developed a dislike for someone in this Realm. Grant. That is what you sense in me. This realm has lost all appeal it once had."

In that moment she made the first impulsive choice of her life. "Our trade will continue, but there are certain items that my Kingdom no longer requires. I will send a messenger to finalise this."

With that, she brushed passed him and headed for the gates.

***
Hi guys! Here's another chapter for you :-D
In other news, I will be trying to update more often and...
I'm going to publish a new story - A Touch of Scarlet.

Votes
&
Comments
Make happy authors! ;-)