Eternal Wynter Chapter 2

Wynter collapsed onto a pile of snow and caught her breath. None of the wolves or her servants had followed and she closed her eyes. The worry that had been able to seep through vanished and she sighed. She always knew it would happen, even though she had buried the memories of her past so deep in her mind that it was almost impossible to access them. She stood and cursed herself for her moment of weakness.

A wolf cub could not be what Daphne had been speaking of, yet she knew that the cub was somehow connected to all of this.

A strong wind suddenly slammed into Wynter, knocking the breath out of her, and she fell to her knees. Her eyes widened. The spell she had woven so long ago had done its duty at last. Someone had crossed the border between their kingdom and the Crystal Court. Wynter lifted her hands to the sky and the clouds darkened. Moments later snow began to fall in such torrents that she could not see a foot in front of her.

Wynter smiled and started heading back to the castle. She knew exactly where it stood and even in a white-out she would be able to find it. As she neared the castle, a sense of wrongness settled over her. The storm had been tamed slightly, making it easier for someone to find their way.

Someone was fighting her magic. Someone she knew too well.

Wynter ground her teeth together and doubled her effort to keep the storm in full swing. She created the largest storm that the Crystal Court had ever seen, but she contained it to not destroy any homes or harm any people. A burst of sunshine filled the air, momentarily brightening the world, but it was instantly snuffed out. In Wynter's domain she was the strongest.

She finally made it to the castle and the maids rushed toward her.

"What's going on, Wynter?"

Crystal, a young girl with brown-black hair, asked and grasped Wynter by the arm. Crystal was the only person since being exiled that Wynter trusted with her whole being. Enough to call her a friend.

Another burst of sunlight, this time closer to the castle, broke the Court into summery daylight before disappearing.

"Isabella."

That one word was enough to send everyone into a panicked frenzy.

"Enough!"

Wynter's voice cut through the palace like a blade and instantly they fell quiet.

"This is our home. As long as I am alive and breathing no harm will come to any of you. Isabella's power is nothing in comparison to mine. Now get back to your chores and pretend that nothing is out of place!"

Everyone except Crystal rushed out of the room and disappeared. She walked silently behind Wynter and followed her to the throne room. Wynter sat down on the throne and Crystal sat down at her feet.

"What are you going to do?"

Wynter glanced at the girl and shook her head to dismiss a thought.

"Do not doubt me, Crystal. I will hear what Isabella has to say and then we will decide what to do with her."

Wynter drew the storm in and quiet settled over the Crystal Court. The room was thick with anticipation, even if only two people were in it. Wynter stiffened on her throne when the doors opened, revealing the one woman she despised.

Isabella sweeped into the room like she owned the place. Wynter could see the look of awe on her face, although she clearly tried to hide it. "What is your business here?" Wynter demanded.

Isabella stopped and grinned at Wynter. "Must I have an excuse to see my sister?" Wynter sighed and rolled her eyes. "You are no sister of mine. Now state your business before I remove you from my presence."