Chapter 16

Robert woke easily the next morning. His sleep had been long and deep and he felt ready for a good day ahead. He ate a quick breakfast after he dressed and was opening his ledgers when the golden haze of dawn spilled in through the windows and onto his desk.

About an hour after sunrise, he heard someone coming up the few steps to his door. A knock let him know that it was not one of his men or Brother Tuck, who never seemed to knock on anyone’s door.

“Come in,” he called to his visitor.

Robert was surprised to see Pierre come in and close the door behind him. The young nobleman looked out the window at the inn, slid the bolt on the door shut, and then pulled the shutters on the windows closed.

“Is there anything wrong, my lord,” asked Robert.

Pierre turned around as if just noticing the sheriff was sitting behind his desk. “No, there is nothing wrong. May I speak with you?”

“Of course. Would you be more comfortable seated?”

Pierre looked at the chair. “Yes, I believe I would be.”

If you don’t mind me saying so bluntly, it seems that you are quite disturbed about something.”

“I am, Sheriff. I am. I said nothing was wrong, but that is merely my hope. I fear a great deal is wrong.”

“And you wish to discuss it with me?”

“Some of it, yes. Other things will be better left untouched. But let us begin with what I know that concerns you and what you have to say in your defense.”

Robert felt his left hand find the hilt of the knife at his belt.

Pierre shook his hand at the sheriff and settled further into his chair. “No, Sheriff. This is not a conversation that needs to have knives. We will both leave here glad to have spoken, I believe.”

“I truly hope so, Pierre.”

The nobleman raised an eyebrow. “I was offended by you English when I first arrived in London, but I find the narrow gap between noble and commoner amusing now. No French commoner would ever address a nobleman by their first name or by just their family name, and yet I have seen you do it concerning Sir Robert of Locksley and Earl Locksley and now myself. But never my cousin. He is always ‘Sir Guy’ or ‘my lord’. My cousin seems to believe it is rudeness or a base vulgarity that the commoner is born with. I think it is a sign of comfort and familiarity when there is a breakdown in the respect for names. I will take it so, anyway.”

“I did not mean any disrespect.”

“That is what I expected. It seems that you are anticipating some travel in the near future. I expect you have sensed the change in the wind and know that your brother is not as much favored by those who rule the court in London now. As such, his granted positions and titles may well disappear. The King’s mother persuaded his majesty that he should make the changes he intends to make over a period of time, but the appointment of sheriffs is something that must be done fairly quickly. King John needs those he can trust and rely on to collect his taxes, does he not?”

Robert nodded as he listened to Pierre correctly describe his thoughts.

“Your brother holds the title of sheriff here, but he holds several titles that King Richard gave him. Some titles have duties that are performed wherever the holder is at the time. Other titles have obligations that can only be fulfilled with someone who is actually present. This is why you came to Nottingham if I am not mistaken. Your brother gained the title of sheriff here and he set you the task of performing the duties. You are not truly the High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and the Royal Forests, you are merely the man who performs as the Sheriff of Nottinghamshire.”