Chapter 15

Robert reached the stables just before Sir Guy rode through the gate. If not for the crowds milling about and heading to Nottingham, Sir Guy would surely have galloped into the manor grounds themselves. The horse he rode was lathered and panting heavily as he dismounted.

“Sheriff,” the French Knight said as he saw Robert. “I have ridden hard all day from London. I have some news that you must hear.”

“What is it, Sir Guy?” Robert asked as he hurried over to the exhausted man. Jack and David had accompanied the sheriff to the stables and each stood with their hands on the pommel of their swords.

“I have heard news in London that Sir Robert of Locksley died this last spring in Poitiers. He can’t be the leader of the bandits here in Nottinghamshire.”

“Not true, cousin.” Pierre had just mounted his horse when Sir Guy came through the gate. He had ridden over to speak to him as Robert approached. “The reports of his death must be wrong, I have evidence of his movement in the Sherwood.”

The sheriff and his deputies joined Sir Guy as he looked at the young Frenchman with a stunned expression.

“What evidence, Pierre?” asked Sir Guy.

“I found Sir Robert’s sword in the Sherwood on the day that the earl died. I didn’t want to say anything that might bring disrepute on the earl, but I believe he rode out to the woods to meet with his son when he died. The sword was found about a half a mile from the earl and his horse. It looks like the wearer had a strap get caught on some of the underbrush and he had to remove it from his belt. It was hidden in a fallen log off of a deer path.”

Sir Guy looked around at the dispersing crowds.

"He must have been here, then. If Locksley is alive and in the woods, he must have at least wanted to see his father’s funeral.”

“I have fifty soldiers hidden around the manor, cousin. No one has tried to slip past them or we would have heard the horns.”

“You know what Locksley looks like, Pierre. Did you not see him?”

“No, Sir Guy. I made sure I saw everyone in attendance.”

“What about the household? Did he try to pass as a servant, or maybe hide himself in the house so he could observe without being seen?”

Pierre hesitated. “I did not think of that, cousin. I will search the house immediately.” The young French noble dashed off into the manor.

Sir Guy took a waterskin from his saddle bag and drank deeply. He poured some water over his head.

“Sheriff, this has been a difficult day for me. I had developed many scenarios in my head as to how Locksley could be dead in France and yet his name mentioned as this Robin Hood. I have to admit that both you and Captain Carver entered my mind as culprits in a deception meant to keep me from the truth. My cousin’s proof shows that I was wrong. Apparently the news of Locksley’s death was planted in London to throw me off the trail.”

“I understand, Sir Guy. Is there any other ideas you have?”

"Not at this time, Sheriff.” Sir Guy walked over to the steps leading into the house and sat down. He leaned back against one of the decorative stone railings and closed his eyes.

“We can discuss our plans for continuing the search when we get back to town. Maybe tomorrow morning. You look like you could use some rest.”

Sir Guy waved his hand in agreement as he looked like he was close to collapsing in sleep.

The door to the house flew open and Pierre stopped as he noticed Sir Guy sitting on the steps.

“The monks!” he exclaimed. “They are the only ones I never got a good look at.”