Chapter 12

Marian looked at Robert with disapproval and anger. “There was nothing you could do?”

“Lady Marian, enough. You know there was nothing I could do,” said Robert.

“I know,” she sighed as she looked back to her needlework. “I am upset and it is unfair to take it out on you.”

Robert looked into his cup of wine. It was warmed and spiced to take the chill off of the day. “How is the earl doing?”

“He is doing better than I expected. I was afraid of what I would find after having been gone for three days and nights, but when I returned yesterday, he was dressed and sitting at the table waiting for dinner. Of course this morning he was sitting at the table naked as a jay waiting for breakfast.”

Robert laughed. “Yes, I suppose you must take the good as well as the bad.”

Marian looked back up from her hoop and thread. “He said something odd to me. Well, less odd and more conspiratorial.”

“Yes?”

“I mentioned that we would have to throw a large party for Christmas this year because it would be his 60th birthday. He agreed and when we were making out the guest lists, your name came up. He said ‘Oh, don’t bother with him, he will be long gone before Christmas.’ Why did he say that?”

“You know better than anyone that his mind is slipping, my lady.”

“I do, and that’s how I know he wasn’t just babbling. He let another little secret slip. He has many secrets, did you know? He knows how every child was made on his lands, even if the men who assume to be their fathers don’t. He knows things about all of the town council. He knows things about me. And I believe he knows that you will be long gone before Christmas. Why?”

Robert shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He took a sip of wine and then looked across to Marian who was staring at him waiting for an answer.

“My brother supported King Richard against his brother’s rebellion. Many nobles supported John. Now King John. King John is now going to reward those that supported him. I’m sure he wanted to jump at the chance to bend low those who opposed him and raise up those who he wanted to promote, but I am sure that his mother saw the sense in making a smooth and gradual transition. In just over eight weeks is Martinmas, a traditional day for renewing contracts and assigning positions. I expect to soon receive word from my brother that he will have lost the title of High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and the Royal Forests among his several other titles. He has been very valuable in the position of the exchequer, so maybe King John will keep him on there. But I, dear Lady Marian, will be a commoner without office. And I have no reason to stay here.”

Marian nodded. “I forget sometimes that you aren’t really from here. I suppose I would just stay and find something else to do, but that doesn’t seem to be an option for you. Where will you go?”

“I was thinking of going to one of the Italian countries. Maybe Florence.”

“Florence? Italy? I was thinking you might go to Leeds or York. Why would you go so far away?”

“As I said, I have no reason to stay. Why not go away?”

Marian narrowed her eyes as she thought. “You are running, Sheriff Brewer. You are running from something. I just don’t know what from.”

“Don’t go searching for answers, it’s safer if you don’t. But this talk does bring up something I have been wanting to talk with you about.”

“What?”

“I would like you to come with me.”

Marian’s mouth slightly opened and she shook her head a little. “You want me to go with you?”