Chapter 8

Robert turned to look behind him as the noise of a galloping horse threatened to trample him. He saw David leap from the saddle of his mount as he pulled it to a stop.

“Sheriff, we have a serious problem in the woods. You need to come with me.”

Robert did not doubt the words of his deputy and took off in a run to his office. David ran beside him, breathing as hard as the horse he led.

“What do I need?” asked the sheriff.

“Your sword, for sure, and to mount and ride as quick as you can.”

“Saddle my horse as I get my sword. Sir Guy has found something?”

“Someone. He has captured Donald. Just come, you will see.”

Robert was stunned by this news and for a few seconds stood staring at David who was already heading towards the sheriff’s horse. Robert refocused on the problem and went into his office. He tossed the loaves of bread he had just bought onto his desk and scrambled to belt his sword on. On a whim, he grabbed his bow. He made sure that the bowstring was not frayed as he hurried back out into the front yard of his office.

David was just tightening the straps to the saddle when the sheriff shut the door behind him. The two men mounted and David led at a full gallop down the south road and out into the fields. They slowed as they approached the broken ground of the woods and Robert rode up alongside his deputy.

“What happened? How did Donald get caught?”

David shook his head. “I don’t know, I just saw it from a distance. Donald and Jack were setting up a fake camp when the French soldiers burst through the trees. They both were hooded, like you ordered, and made a run for separate ladders. Jack made it up his and pulled it to safety, but Donald tripped. When Sir Guy got there, they had Donald tied up. Sir Guy was furious when he saw it was one of your men and started ranting about treason and hanging. He had his men make a noose out of the rope ladder and put it around Donald’s neck when I slipped away. I could see Jack in the trees above, but I don’t think any of the French saw him.”

“Lead me to where you saw them, I want to see what is going on first,” said Robert.

The woods were thick and hid the movement of the horses down the trail. About a mile into the woods, David dismounted and led his horse down into a small gully. The sheriff dismounted and followed his deputy deeper into the woods. After a few minutes, Robert could hear the shouts of Sir Guy.

“Come out bandit, come out and see! I have your man and I will hang him here. If you care for him, I will let you trade yourself for him.”

Robert handed the reins of his horse to David and slipped silently forward. When he moved through the screen of trees, he saw Donald standing on a pile of planks. The young woodsman was up on his toes as far as he could stretch. A noose was tight around his neck. The rope had been thrown up over an oak branch about ten feet off the ground. The rope was being pulled tight by two soldiers who were tying it to the stirrups of Sir Guy’s horse.

Donald was working his fingers frantically, trying to untie the knot on the cord that bound his hands. Robert looked at Sir Guy and realized that the man was angry and running out of patience. There were four other soldiers with the French knight along with François and Pierre. Robert determined that it was too many men to take direct action against. He looked at the distance to the rope and wondered how steady his hand would be today. There was no wind to speak of and the rope was only about eighty feet away.

He slipped back to where David was and spoke softly to him. “I will take my bow and one of your arrows and try this, I believe it is Donald’s only hope. Lead our horses up to the trail again and I will meet you there.”