The Ghost of Sherwood

Martinmas – The Feast of Saint Martin of Tours is November 11th. It is the traditional day of the celebration of the harvest, of slaughtering animals to cure their meat for the winter, and of renewing contracts.

August of 1199 

John Plantagenet has a tenuous hold on the crown of England. Richard the Lionhearted was a well-loved King and Lord of his people, and his death in April still darkened the mood of many Britons as his ill-respected youngest brother took his place.

John faced challenges to his claim of the throne, most prominently from his nephew Arthur of Brittany, who led forces against the King. John was desperate to hold not only the lands left to him by his ascending the throne, but also the lands of Brittany and Aquitaine in France.

The long years of the third crusade saw heavy taxes and levies from commoner and noble alike. It was hoped with Richard making his way home, that the need for the additional revenue would fade. When Richard died, though, the taxes increased under John. The new king declared that he had to defend his claim to the throne and that the use of mercenary armies and support from French nobles would be worth the extra taxes.

But most Englishmen did not feel inclined to give the untrusted John more money than even his beloved brother required...