Chapter 24 - Grand Theft Gown

Chapter 24

Grand Theft Gown

So yeah. The ladies at the wedding dress shop had been screaming after me, because I was kind of stealing their dress.

I wasn't being purposely illegal, I just needed to get out of here fast and I really wasn't thinking straight.

I hailed a cab. When I got in I realized that one, I didn't have any money on me, and two, this was the same cab driver as the time I had an accident.

The second part wasn't that important, I mean what a small work, bleh blah blih. It was all cute, but the real important thing was the first part.

I was going to have to do some acting. "OH MY GAAAWD! It's my wedding day! My wedding day, and my husband-to-be collapse at home! I have to get to the hospital! HIS CANCER MUST BE BACK!" And then it was like an entire ride of me screaming incoherent things about our dreams of owning two golden retrievers and saving the naked mole rat. And coral reefs.

When the cab driver parked in front of the hospital I just ran out. He could have easily followed after me to stop me, but he was probably just glad that I was getting far away from him.

Hospitals made no sense to me. The first person I spotted that was waiting in a little glass cubicle, I ran to her and ask her to direct me to Landon Armstrong or Sophia Armstrong or really, any of the armstrongs. I think the dress threw her off, because she asked for one of the security guards to take me to someone who would know where they were.

I caught a lucky break. Landon's sister was walking in the halls on our way to people with answers.

"Sophia?"

She frowned looking at me. Everybody was giving me weird looks. It was like they had never seen a wedding gown before. "Danika, right?" she said, walking up to me. I nodded. She added, "He's in no shape for a shot-gun wedding at the hospital church. I can give you an update without you needing to marry him to be a family member."

"Oh, ignore the dress. Just tell me how he's doing."

"Long story short, and in layman's term, he collapsed in your apartment building. Your neighbour, Miss Beauregard found him and called the ambulance. He didn't flat line, but his heart was beating extremely erratically, he wasn't getting any blood to his brain so we had to shock his heart. We're keeping him under observation." What was he even doing at my place? Did he get drunk again?

"Can I see him?"

"He's in intensive care, so no," she answered.

What? But I was being all spontaneous and dramatic and let's be real here, kind of romantic and I couldn't even go see him? "When can I see him?" I pressed.

"Next visiting time is in four hours, but my mom will want to check in on him and it's only one person at a time."

Before I could ask anything else, Sophia's pager started to beep frantically and she was running away from me.

That's how I ended up waiting for about nine hours in the visitor's room. I had left my phone back the wedding dress shop, so I had no one to call to ask for a change of clothes. The best entertainment I had was from very old used up magazines which made me overuse the Purell dispensers. Oh and ignoring the weird looks everyone was giving me.

No cops had shown up to arrest me for grand theft gown so that was about the only good news I had all day.

I didn't see Landon's mom waiting in the waiting room to see her son. Maybe she was intelligent enough to just go home and wait till the next visiting hours. I on the other hand didn't want to leave. What if he suddenly started to get worse? What if they needed my blood or for me to come an hold his hand and tell him not to walk towards the light and—