Chapter 23 - Cashmere and Caviar

Chapter 23

Cashmere and Caviar

I woke up in Victor's bed. Okay, so I broke up our engagement and kind of dumped him last night, but I was still totally entitled to break up sex.

Victor was still sleeping, so I tried not to stir to much as I got out of bed and went to hunt for my clothes.

When I was putting my shirt back on though, I totally get caught.

"So, this is it?" Victor asked, behind me.

I turned around to look him in the eyes. "I guess it is."

"You didn't sing any Spongebob songs last night," he pointed out.

"I figured you deserved one time without it," I admitted.

He made a face. "I actually kind of missed it. It felt a bit wrong to be honest."

I threw my hands up in the air dramatically, "Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I've officially broken you."

Victor shook his head sadly, jokingly, "You know what that means? That means that now that you've tailored me to you likes you should retract that crazy break up thing and just come back to bed with me."

"I should tell you this now that we're not dating anymore—"

Victor interrupted me, shouting, "AH! So we did date!"

I glared at him and flipped him off while he just grinned, lounging in his bed, arms behind his head. "Shut up. What I'm trying to say is that I absolutely hate your silk sheets. And your room. And your apartment in general really. It looks like the place a Stormtroopper would live in."

He slightly shrugged a shoulder. He was still smiling. I had no idea how he could be in such a good mood after last night. "How is that a bad thing?"

"I'm leaving noooow," I told him in a sing song voice.

"Hey, wait," he said, sitting up on the bed, "didn't we have that dress shopping thing to go to today?" he reminded me.

Right. It had been one of the first thing Victor had been crazy obsessed about us doing after I hadn't said no to his proposal, maybe in a sad attempt at making sure I was going to go through with it. If I found the perfect dress, I would definitely have to marry him then.

I ran a hand through my fuck-me hair. "Oh shit, yeah right. Do you want me to call them and cancel?"

"Why?" he shrugged again. "You can just go, have them make you try on everything in that place and just say, oh I'll think about it. Just because you broke my heart doesn't mean you're not allowed to have fun anymore."

"So, you want me to go dress shopping even though we're not going to get married?"

"Yes."

I narrowed my eyes a bit, totally seeing through the fancy bastard. "Because you think that if I find the perfect dress I might change my mind?"

He smiled, closing his eyes, leaning back in bed, "maaaaaaybe."

"I'm leaving. Goodbye Spanish God."

"Goodbye She-Devil," he answered.

We smiled at each other. We might have been saying goodbye to each other, but it didn't feel like a farewell. It felt like a see-you-later.

I had never really assumed that I could care as much as I did about Victor. In the beginning, he had only ever been a willing sex partner. And strangely, after everything I was admitting, everything I was trying to process, it didn't feel bad or wrong to admit than Victor meant a lot to me. I might never end up with him. Heck, I might never even see him again. But victor changed me. And I definitely changed him.

I walked out of his building with a weight off my shoulders.

Obviously, I wasn't going to go dress shopping on my own, so I called Abbie. I should apologize to her after my little tantrum yesterday.

I explained everything to her quickly and in the end she just said, "So, let me get this straight, you want me to go with you, shop for wedding dressesw after you broke it off with your future not-husband-to-be?"

"Yep."

"And the Kardashians think their life is worth having a reality TV show..."

Abbie got to the shop first and waited for me by the entry. There was no sappy moment needed after my ridiculous outburst. We just nodded when we saw each other.

We could be women of few words.

The minute I walked into the dress shop the ladies working there pounced on me like starving felines. They kept repeating "you need an appointment to come here, not everybody can shop here, we're better than you, we sniff hairspray fume, blah, blah, blah," but when I finally managed to tell them I was the chick getting itched to a Rockefeller, they could have wash my feet with their tongues.

There were some perks to using an old money name like Victor's. The second they realized who I was, I was their new best friend. Obviously, I kept to myself the whole, I'm just trying on dresses to waste your time thing. I was pretty sure Victor had to pay for that shopping day though, so I didn't exactly feel bad.

If Victor wanted to waste money on the slim chance a dress might make me say yes, who was I to deny him that illusion?

So I decided to have fun. I made ridiculous demands, like the possibility of sewing three different dresses together. I was staying stuff like "Victor knows the only way I'm getting married is if Elton John is the one officiating our wedding" and "I want a trained albatross to fly our ring bearer to us" just a bunch of nonsensical stuff like that and the women there were just nodding their heads and saying it made sense and they were all great ideas.

Maybe I had made a mistake. Maybe I should marry the Spanish God and live like a princess for the rest of my life. Screw figuring myself out, when I could live in cashmere and caviar and people eating up whatever I said.

When I was wearing a dress with pearls sewed into the corsage that was just drop dead gorgeous and was probably worth an entire year of salary for me, Abbie finally decided to tell me, while I was admiring myself in the little lounge filled with mirrors, and she was sitting on one of the couches, "Nothing happened."

I twirled on myself. "You don't even have to explain yourself. I was the jerk. My little tantrum was totally uncalled for."

"Still, nothing happened," she said with a shrug, sorting through a wedding catalogue.

I turned to get a good look at her. "But something could happen if you wanted it to. I don't mind. You two can have wild rabbit procreating sex, and I wouldn't have the right to say anything."

She rolled her eyes at me. "I'm not so sure Landon feels that way though."

My phone started to vibrate on the table beside Abbie before I could answer that. "Can you pick that up please?" I asked her, still admiring how beautiful the dress I was wearing was. I didn't feel like dealing with reality when I looked like a pretty princess.

Abbie stuck her tongue out at me and then answered my phone. But then, as she was listening to the other person at the end of the line, wasn't moving and she was making a strange face, so I asked her, "Who is it?"

Slowly, she moved the phone from her ears, "Dani... it's Landon... he had a heart attack."

"WHAT?" I rushed to her and practically ripped the phone out of her hand.

Shaking uncontrollably, I put the phone to my ear but I barely had the strength to keep it up. "Danika? It's Landon's sister. He just got hospitalize where I work. He's in bad shape. He was on his way to see you when it happened. I didn't know if you were waiting for him or not..."

I didn't wait for her to say more. I just grabbed the edge of my dress and started running.