Chapter 21 - The Literal Opposite of Being Mature

Chapter 21

The Literal Opposite of Being Mature

Since I'd used up all of my ninja hiding skills to dodge Victor, Neil totally caught me by surprise when he called me to meet up. Clearly, I enjoyed inflicting pain on myself, because I agreed. That was exactly what I needed—adding another dude to my ever growing list of dicks fucking with my head. Talk about the cherry on top of the shit sundae.

We met at a little café, a couple of blocks from my apartment. I didn't want to be alone in my home with him. It just felt wrong.

He was already there when I arrived. I felt like an awkward teenager again, like all my protective walls were slowly crumbling. We exchanged banalities for a few minutes, talking about the weather and Trump. I was utterly ashamed of myself.

I was always so bluntly honest about absolutely everything in my life. I never had any filter about anything. Why was it different when it came to Neil? Because he mattered? Or was it because he reminded me of a different Danika, the Danika that took everyone's gorram crap happily.

I interrupted him in the middle of a sentence, "Can we both just be honest right now, without any kind of agenda and without talking things too personally, because I really need to talk right now." Talk about self conceited, but I didn't really care. I had stuff to deal with, and he was pretty much in the middle of that shit sandwich.

"I'd like that," he agreed.

"Did you know I used to have this huge crush on you when I was younger?" Oh yeah, no more filter, let's go right to the hard stuff.

He looked kind of surprised. I hadn't expected that. "Seriously? That must have been awkward for you," he told me.

He was kidding right? He must be.

"That's the understatement of the millennium," I said with a snort. "I used to watch you from across the cafeteria at school and just daydream about kissing you and then you went off to college and I thought I'd never see you again."

"But you did," he said for me.

"Yep. I did. The first time I saw you at our house... I knew why you were there. I always knew what was going on. My parents never tried to hide it. But I just didn't want to believe that the guy I'd put all of my pinning effort on would be the kind of person that my parents brought home. I convinced myself that you weren't actually a part of their sex orgies until the day I walked in on you with my parents."

"Wow, I never realized..."

"You seriously didn't know?" Seriously, how could something that had been so big and obvious to me be so insignificant for him back then?

"No, I always thought of you more as a sister to be honest," he admitted.

He hadn't known. That realization sort of shook me to the core. I had always assumed that he knew. He must have known that the girl making moon eyes at him was totally pinning for him. I'd been so focus on how my feelings were so obvious to me that it hadn't ever truly occurred that he hadn't known.

I felt like I had mattered even less to him and that seriously stung more than I had anticipated. But I tried not to let it show and joked instead. "Because you slept with my parents."

"Probably."

"I never saw the appeal of being part of their harem," I said, off-handily.

He laughed at the name. "I guess it was curiosity. I was young, I didn't know that much about sex but I was a horny college kid. And there was this couple that did things most people didn't even dare to mention in public. When you've always been a good boy, there's an appeal in that."