Pig

My dad and I run out to the camp. Everyone is trying to get to the exit, but most people are stuck in the buildings. Dad falls to his knees as he sees a fried corpse that had gotten stuck under a tree- Miranda. I tug him up.

"We don't have time! Come on!" I yell, choking back tears at the loss of my friend. Dad grunts, and grabs my hand. He's sweating- I'm sure I am too. As we pass a caved in shop, we hear children's screams. I look at Dad in horror.

"I'm going with you." I say, gripping his hand. He shakes his head, and looks at me with a sad look.

"I want you to survive, okay? You're the only thing I have left, I won't be losing you too." Before I can protest, he shoves me into the arms of Kea, who scoops me up and runs. I look back and see my dad running into the fire, and a large, ugly, and familiar man dropping a burnt out torch and going back to the shadows outside off camp. And then the smoke gets to me, and I black out.

»*«

I wake up under some trees, the air is clear. For a moment, I feel at peace, and wonder if I'm dead. Then Kea looks over me and grins.

"She's up!" He announces. I sit up, and look around. We're in an abandoned neighborhood- not even any zombies are visible. Theodore and Percy are working to get into a house. Looking around more, I notice that the doors to every house is broken open. They must have taken care of any zombies then..

Theo grins back at us. "Good! She can help with the food." I frown.

"What happened to the camp?" I ask. Kea sighs and the other two stop banging on the door.

"It burnt down... someone lit it on fire." Percy whispers. I blink back tears.

"... Dad didn't make it?"

"As far as we know, no one did but us. And we got lucky, thanks to Percy's muscles being able to move the block on the exit. It was no accident, that much we know." Kea grimaces. I grit my teeth, and stand up. I need to punch something. I make my way over to the door that hasn't opened and grab the crowbar out of Theo's hands. I yell out every bad word I know, knocking the door in. A zombie comes out at me, but I swing and splatter its head over the wall.

Then I cry. I cry so much my eyes start to hurt and nothing else can come out. Kea kneels next to me and hugs me softly. I don't even try to push away. I sob into his chest. Why? How come when I finally found my actual father, he to burn? Why didn't I stop him? Why do I have to live with terrible experiences?

I fall asleep in Kea's arms, and dream of fire, and the man I had seen running out. It finally clicks in my head. Mr. B had survived. And he wants me dead for ruining his personal kingdom.

'Bring it on, pig.'

***

A/N: Did this on my Kindle, so it's gonna look like crap. Oh well. Enjoy :D