Meet the Carsons

The little boy shakes as they all stare at me. The little girl suddenly starts crying, and as the mom tries to make her be quiet, the dad glares.

            “Who are you?” He barks. I hold my hands up in defense, showing I mean no harm.

            “Calm down. I’m not going to hurt any of you.” I say in a clear voice, and glance at the sniffling girl. I smile a bit at her, and reach into my bag. I pull out my old teddy bear and hand it to the girl, who smiles shyly at me and hugs it.

            “Where are you from?” The father asks. “Where’s your group?” He questions me with a raised brown eyebrow.

            “I’m alone. I travel a lot.” I say. I walk around as he stares. The mother suddenly speaks.

            “I’m Mary Carson. That’s my husband, Luther. These are our kids, Amy and Lee.” She smiles. I smile back at her.

            “Nice to meet you all.” I say. “Where is this train headed?” I ask.

            “Not sure.” Luther says. “We think it’s headed for a city.”

            “Hm.” I mumble, and move boxes around. I finally find a ripped up map, and lay it out on a box. It doesn’t show where we’re going. I grimace and stand.

            “Have you stayed in here?”

            “Yes, we heard one of those monsters in the next room.” Mary says. Amy and Lee are playing in the corner with the teddy bear.

            I grab my machete and go to the door. I swiftly hop to the next cart, which is a luxury room- first class. A zombie is in here- only one. I swing my machete into his head, once, twice, and three times. I motion for Luther, and he comes in with his family. The children sit down and giggle as trees pass. I stand up and find food, and toss it to Mary. She prepares it, a small thing of pineapple, and we’re eating before sundown.

            As night falls, I’m officially welcomed to their group. They’re trying to find a ranch up in the mountains, some of their group had made it up there and recently radioed in. Mary sleeps and Luther watches out. Lee tried to stay up to help his father, but ended up sleeping.

            “Ash?” Amy tugs my shirt. I smile down at her.

            “Yes?”

            “Can you sleep with me and Charlie tonight..? I don’t like the dark.” She whimpers. I nod, and put my machete under the seat as we fall asleep, only her soft breathing and the trains faint chugging relaxing my nerves.