New Everything...

There's a small gasp from a few people, along with mutters and looks of confusion and distaste. I didn't mean to say anything- I guess my brain took control before I could even register it. The man in front of me, my supposed dad, nods, and I'm soon enveloped in a hug. But I can't move. This is my dad. I'm certain, something is telling me this man is my father. His hair, his eyes, everything. He even knows my name! How...?

            I pull away, and glare at him. "Why?" My voice comes out as a cold, brutal hiss. I suddenly am unaware of anyone else, just him. He stares down at me with wide eyes, so much like my own. "Why did you leave my mom? She needed you. She was alone. And you left her." His face falls. Then he looks angry.

            "I never left her. I went to get medical supplies for that doctor as you were being born, and came back to find him gone with you, and her being eaten by those monsters. I could never forgive myself. She was the only one I ever loved." Dad says. Just as a woman with a silver doe mask appears from behind the cut off room. Her long, red hair dusts her shoulders, and she's wearing a brown dress.

            "Darling, what's going o-?" She stops. I laugh bitterly.

            "Darling?" I scoff. "Oh yes. My mother was the only one you loved, hm?" I turn away, angry. I hear dad groan.

            "Ash, please... it's been yea-."

            "I don't care!" I spin around and march up to him, pointing my finger sharply at his chest. "You will leave me and these poor people alone. And we will leave." I seethe. Dad doesn't say a word. Instead, he grabs my arms, and glares into my eyes.

            "They can go. You must stay. I will not lose my daughter again." Dad says harshly. I glare back, then look at Amy, then Mary, then Jack. And I nod.

            Forty minutes later, I'm in a room in a tree. The rooms are all large, but this is in the biggest tree. Turns out the room Doe-lady (her name is actually Miranda) came from led to stairs, which went up to the biggest tree in the back- and my new room is in it.

            The rooms are lit with gas lamps, that hang from the ceiling. The walls and floors are smooth, and sanded down. They're all round and large, and have soft beds. Jack and his family are all gone. They were taken back outside, in the truck. I watched from a window, which is carved into the tree as well.

            "Ash?" A small knock interrupts my thoughts. I snap my head up to see Miranda holding a large, clothed item. I roll my eyes and turn away. She sits next to me on the bed, and unwraps the item. I can't help but be entranced by the silver owl mask. The feathers have diamonds indented inside, emeralds around where my eyes should peek out. Like the other masks, it only covers my eyes, but the beak goes down my nose and over my mouth, in a sharp point.

            "I'm sorry... I know this is the last thing you need, but your father made it for you years ago. He would always tell me, 'She's still out there. The doctor wouldn't dare to let her die. She's a fighter. I know she must be.' I was terrified that you would never show up... If you need any help, please just ask." And she leaves. I realize this is my new home. And I can't do anything about it.

            I stand, and open the wardrobe. I change into a beige shirt and dark brown leather corset vest. On my legs are now leather brown pants, and I even find dark brown boots. I pull my hair up, and put on my new mask. This is the new me. I sigh, and close my eyes. Tomorrow I'll ask dad what happened exactly the night I was born. For now, I need weapons.

            I walk out of the tree, into the square. I go to where I saw the pretty machete, and look at the Elephant masked woman who mans the shop.

            "What do I need for that?" I ask, pointing to it. She grins, and hands it to me. I twirl the ivory handle around, and grin back, seeing the emeralds embedded in each side of the blade.

            "It's yours." The woman says, in a surprisingly deep voice.

            "Thank you." I reply. The light emitting from the biggest tree dims, and everyone in the square starts packing up. One by one, lights go out all around. I head back to the tree, and head straight to my room. I throw my mask onto the dresser, next to my machete, then fall on the bed, falling asleep instantly.