Nightmares and Intruders

Everyone was silent during dinner. Hannah twitched every now and then, and would occasionally drop her fork, which Willis would pick up, wash off, and bring back. Finally, Amy spoke up.

            “Who were those guys Daddy?” She asked, her big blue eyes looking to Luther. Luther gulps down his beans, and smiles at her.

            “No one. Just some passer-bys looking for food.” Luther says. Amy frowns and furrows her brow.

            “Do you like your beans, Amy?” Jack asks quickly. I see Luther send him a quick glance of thanks, and he winks back.

            Amy smiles. “Yea! They’re yummy.” She says, shoveling another spoonful in her mouth as though to prove her point. The rest of the night, everyone barely talks, only enough to keep Amy and Lee from asking questions. I’m surprised that we actually get to bed without them asking anything else.

            I find a fresh change of pajamas in the dresser drawers and smile to myself. I’ve never been able to use different sets of clothes- I normally steal some off dead people or zombies, or sometimes- if I get lucky- I find a store that hasn’t been totally robbed.

            I climb under the covers and find myself smiling again. It’s so warm and cozy. I haven’t been in a proper bed in forever. In fact, in these times, you’ll be lucky to find a bale of hay or a blanket to sleep on. And this is so soft… So… soft…

                                                            ***

            ~*~ I can’t see anything… It’s too dusty, and smells disgusting. I try to blink the dirt out of my eyes, but it invades even when I’m swiping. I can hear the moans of the undead behind me, and start moving. Finally, the dust starts to fade, but the smell gets stronger. What in the..?

            I’m in a dark room. I can’t see anything, but it seems to go on forever. I slowly walk, then stop as a light appears closest to me on my right. A circled beam, that seems to come out of nowhere- like a stage light. I squint, and gasp. It’s Lila. She has a huge chunk of flesh taken out of her neck, her eyes are rolled to the back of her head. I thank god I have a strong stomach, and look to the next light, which is closest to my on my left. Under that is another person, ripped up just as bad as Lila. More lights appear, one by one, faster and faster. The next two lights have two people under each, then three, then four- on and on. The damage gets worse and worse- torn out throats, half ripped faces, missing limbs.

            Just as I thought the dream would end, a groan emitted from the corpses. They slowly moved their necks to stare at me. They all slowly got up, and stumbled toward me. So I ran. I ran to the end of the room, where one last spotlight suddenly shone. Under it was… Sarina. Eating the dead bodies of Jack, Luther, Amy, Lee, Mary, Willis…Every one of them... I almost scream, when the hands grab me, and pull me under. Then a gunshot rings out.

                                                            ***

            I wake up sweating and panting. I can hear yelling downstairs, and grab my bag and machete. I throw on clothes, and sneak into the hall, where I find Jack, Luther, Mary, Amy, Lee, James, and Willis huddled up, surrounded by several men, who have zombies bound together, ready to be loosened up at any time. Just as I manage to get to the middle of the staircase, a loud creak groans out.

            “Hey, boss! There’s another one!” Crap.