Tales of the North

Hope you enjoy this chapter guys! Sorry it took so long to upload, I've found it so difficult to write but I'm getting into it again! There is more to this chapter technically, but it was far too long to fit into one so I had to split it. I have half of the next one done already, so it should be up very shortly. :)

**************

It wasn't long after we had said our vows that the feast had begun. Robb and I sat together at the end of the hall, both of us laughing and drinking more wine than usual.

Everything he whispered to me made me laugh for some reason or another, mostly joking about Theon who had noticeably been rejected from almost every girl in the room.

The great hall was packed full of people, most faces I recognised but some I had never seen before. It reminded me of the day we arrived here, except I now felt much more at home.

Winterfell felt oddly warmer to me now, and not only because I had married Robb, but because I now felt more accepted into the hearts of the Northerners.

Highgarden would always be my true home, but my love for the North was truly growing and I finally felt accepted in the place that seemed the least welcoming in the world. The tales of ice, darkness and snow had always been grim, but within the North there was such an unexplainable beauty; untapped by the remaining cities of the tainted Westeros.

It almost felt clean here, as if with each snowfall bought a fresh start and a new day – like no wrong could be done without the pieces being puzzled back together once more.

As the food was bought out dish by dish, all sorts of courses were splayed out before us, from mutton chops to pigeon pie, roasted pheasant to stewed beef.

Compared to the south, the food in the north was bland but tasty. It did its job, to fill stomachs and keep a man strong in the bite of the winter chill. Robb enjoyed all his courses, while I could only stomach two full dishes and a nibble of a third.

After the courses were done, a serving of elderberries and blackberries were bought out, and several guests began to congratulate Robb and I on our marriage as if we'd won a great victory.

A larger man approached, naming himself some lord or another and praising the day that the houses of Stark and Tyrell joined in union.

"It is such an honour to be serving two great houses; I hope the realm can be at peace with such growing forces at each end of Westeros! I wish you both well, and may the gods bless you with many healthy children!" He said, bowed, and hastily departed.

Robb and I sat, rather awkwardly, in silence for a short while after that.

It was something that I hadn't even contemplated, and the thought had practically been thrown at us...

Children? Children. Children!

How could I be so foolish to not even consider what happened after our marriage when all the feasting was done? I was so busy wrapped up in the moment and the far future ahead that it hadn't even crossed my mind.

The room then felt like it was getting hotter, and I couldn't help but wish the cold stone floor would simply swallow me whole and be done with it.

As two Ladies approached Robb stood to greet them, cool and calm as if the word hadn't even been mentioned, and I could barely fashion a smile.

As they spoke I did not hear; my head only rang with panic and fear. To me, everyone in the long room appeared to be getting louder and louder, as if they were closing in on me.

Every eye that scanned the packed hall, I could have sworn they were staring right at me, judging and watching my every move.

Unintentionally I nervously found the hem of my dress, twiddling with the beads that decorated the fabric.

Suddenly from under the dark oak table a hand touched mine, and ever so gently our hands clung to one another, similar to this morning under the great heart tree.

It was Robb whom the hand belonged to, but from the other side of the great table it may have looked as if we were miles apart.

He continued to talk to the guests in front of us, still the same ones as before, though I didn't recognise them their names seemed familiar - Maege Mormont and her daughter, Dacey.

I felt confused that Robb had suddenly taken my hand, and so swiftly at that, as if he knew.

But strangely, my mind was at rest.

Listening to the sound of Robb's deep voice also soothed me, it somehow holding a kind of unexplainable comfort that could draw away all pain.

As we said our thanks the women departed, finally leaving us alone once more.

Again, we sat silent for a while as we watched them walk down the steps from us and take their seats.

Robb slightly turned himself to face me then, his deep blue eyes looking into mine and a small smile on his face. He said not a word, just lifted my hand with his and laid a soft kiss upon my skin.

He kept his lips on my hand for a while, before bringing it down again – his eyes never leaving mine.

Suddenly he leant in close to me, and I could feel the warmth of his breath on my cheek.

"Come with me." He whispered into my hair. I felt rather confused, expecting a kiss but instead he pulled away, leaving me wondering.

He quickly stood and softly lifted my hand, I followed.

Surprisingly no one seemed to notice as we left, slipping through the crowd full of drunken men.

A guard opened the door for us without question and we exited the hall. Once again, I had no idea where Robb was leading me.

It was dark outside now, the dim glimmer of flames the only thing lighting the courtyard of the great castle. The frosty air seemed to claw at me, but I found it refreshing after the noise and warmth of the feast.

Suddenly, we stopped mid pace; a glowing torch clinging to the wall beside us.

Almost like a dance he drew me to him, so close that I could have sworn he was going to leave me with a kiss.

"One moment, my Lady." He said in a hushed tone, teasing me with his last words. He knew I'd sooner be called by my proper name.

I watched him walk hastily into the darkness once more, and then I stood alone by the flickering light of the burning torch.

The falling snow hadn't ceased, only lightened; still relentlessly fluttering down from the black of the sky. I waited there several minutes, but it didn't once cross my mind to try and find my way back.

I then heard the sound of footsteps, but more than two this time.

I began to feel anxious of footfall in the dark, and couldn't see anyone approaching. A drunken man could easily mistake a highborn young bride for a vulnerable Lady all on her own.

Shuffling on my toes, I waited for whoever was about to reveal themselves to me, hoping it would be Robb.

Thankfully I was correct; it was Robb who had found his way back to me, but behind him followed something rather unexpected.

Within Robb's hands he held a rope, and on the other end of the rope was a beautiful dappled grey mare, her long dark mane wavering in the light wind. I was confused and speechless, my gaze switching between him and the beautiful horse presented to me.

"I know she can't replace Gilly-" He began, his tone deep and serious. "-but I thought you needed a new ride." He studied my face, expecting me to be disappointed.

Running my hand down her face, she nudged me gently as if I had food to give.

"She's perfect." I said, my lips curving into a smile as I leant up to leave Robb with a kiss.