Dreams of a Nightmare

I fell to the floor, pushing my fingers through his auburn curls once last time. His bright blue eyes almost seemed to fade; the colour seeping out through his soul. It left him in that instant, taking with it the shattered pieces of my heart. He once was mine, and now he was gone. I could feel his sticky warm blood seeping through his cloak and onto my hands as if he was trying to come back to me, allowing me to feel his warmth for one final time. A tear rolled down my cheek, but I felt nothing. My soul had already gone; it followed the one who stole my heart - never to be returned. We would go home now. Back to Winterfell, back to happiness, back to life. Home.

"Eliah."

My head span, like hundreds of little blades had been stuck into it. I couldn't open my eyes for a moment.

"Eliah, wake up." Who was it? The voice sounded urgent.

Slowly I opened my eyes and found myself asleep on my bed. It wasn't night time, though, and I was still in my dress. I gasped and sat up, suddenly remembered what had happened.

"My Lady, are you alright?" Maester Luwin spoke quietly but with obvious fear on his face, I knew he was worried that I wouldn't wake up.

It was almost as if someone had stolen all the air from the room. Well, my share at least. Gulping, I brought my hand up to my forehead and could feel the blood that had dried there. In all honesty, it hurt just to think about it.

"I..." I tried to speak but almost choked my throat was so dry.

"It's fine." The Maester held out to me a cup of water and I didn't object to drink it.

"Where is-"

"Theon." He cut me off, taking my cup away and hurrying to the door at the sound of a quiet knock. My heart raced, assuming it would be Theon at the door. However, to my surprise, in came my handmaiden with Brandon in her arms. I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

"You must go," Maester Luwin held out my cloak and without hesitation I slipped it on, I held Brandon then.

He smiled as he looked up at me, but I could tell he had been crying by his bright red cheeks. Thank god no one had heard it.

"Where can we go?" It seemed hopeless; I knew I couldn't get far in the snow and holding a child. "Someone will see."

"Go west, to the Wolfswood." He turned then and my handmaid disappeared into the hallway. I followed in a daze – none of this seemed real. "There's a village there. No one will recognise you."

I didn't know what to say.

Luckily most of the familiar walkways were empty, and the Maester knew ways around Winterfell that not even Robb had spoken of.

It wasn't long before we were outside, and my boots made a soft crunching sound on the snow.

"I tried to fetch a horse, but it was too conspicuous."

I tried to speak, wanting to ask of Gilly and Jonquil, but I was interrupted once more and I knew I had to listen.

"Keep walking west, you'll get there before dark. Don't tell anyone who you are or why you're there. You can't be Lady Stark anymore."

My world had shattered all in one sentence. I shook, both of cold and fear combined.

"I can't do this." It sounded pathetic, like the squeak of a mouse, not that of a Lady. But I wasn't a Lady. I couldn't be. Not anymore.

"You must, to save yourself and Brandon. Find a house in the village and work if you can. Ser Rodrik will visit you, I'll write to him. Keep safe."

The trees ahead were familiar, but the path still a mystery. Despite it all, I walked forward and left Winterfell behind me.

Turning, I wanted to ask the Maester about Robb, but he was already gone.