Chapter 6

As the weeks passed, Jeremy and I just became closer. We spent our days watching movies or going out far into the woods to just be away from everything. 

"Do you ever think about the future?" Jeremy said, trying not to look me in the eye.

"I have actually.. but all we have is now, okay?" I answered. I really couldn't think about this right now.

"Emma stop. What are we going to do after this summer? What are we going to do about us?" He was quick to answer.

"We still have weeks left before summer is even over, Jeremy. We'll cross that bridge once we get to it." I answered sternly.

     After Jeremy didn't answer back, I looked over at him. He had his head turned.

"Hey." I said, grabbing his chin gently. "Everything's going to be alright."

"I just don't want to lose you." Jeremy said almost so quiet I couldn't hear.

     We were silent. We didn't talk. Hug. Kiss. Nothing the whole way home. He couldn't even kiss me when we got to my front door. Instead I just walked away and slammed the door. Letting him know I was angry at him. Why did he have to bring this up? 

**

     The next morning I woke up with a missed call from an unknown number. I was quick to call it back.

"Chilton Hospital speaking, how may I help you?" A lady said.

"Oh my. I had a missed call from this number." I said, gulping. What if it was Jeremy?

"Oh, hello Emma. We have your father here. He got into an accident at work." She said quietly.

"What do you mean an accident?" I said catching quite an attitude.

"He was shot. He's in a coma." She answered.

     I dropped my phone and was out the door.

     Right when I got outside, Jeremy had just pulled up into his car.

"Get in, I'm going with you." He said.

     I didn't protest like I normally would. I got in a didn't say a word.

"I was coming over to tell you. They called me and told me you didn't answer. I thought you were hurt to. How did he get shot?" Jeremy asked.

"He was in an "accident" at work." I answered stiffly.

     Instead of saying anything, Jeremy moved his free hand over to my shaking hand and held it.

     When we got into the hospital, I ran straight for the nurses desk. He was put in the ICU. Only family was allowed, so Jeremy had to stay outside.

     I sat there, crying. My dad looked horrible. They didn't know if he'd live or not. I fell asleep, only to be awoken by someone.

"Emma? Emma, honey it's mom." I heard a voice say. I opened my eyes and saw my mom crying. Beside her was Sarah and my step dad.

     I just fell into my mom's arms. She held me, and it felt so comforting.

"They don't know if he's going to live." I cried.

"He'll live baby. Your dad wouldn't leave us like that. He's always been a pain when it comes to getting what he wants." We all laughed.

     It felt relieving to finally be able to laugh.