Chapter 2

Later that night I couldn't sleep. All I could think about was Jeremy. His smile. His voice. Him. Something about him makes me want him. It must be that southern charm. I laughed at the sound of that. Southern charm? This isn't a romantic novel. He was probably some boy who has a flock of girls wanting him and it's good for his ego.

     I finally got to sleep and I was awoken by a huge bang.

     I rushed out of the bedroom and walked into the living room. Which was also the kitchen, the bathroom, and the dining room. 

     All I saw was the porch door creaked open. 

"Guess dads at work." I mumbled, rumbling through the cabinets in hope of finding something not expired.

     After finding a box of Mini Wheats, I sat down at the cluttered kitchen table and scrolled through instagram. Boring selfies of girls with duck lips. I exited out of instagram and began texting my friends letting them stay updated on my stay here in Alabama. As much as I wanted to be with them this summer and go on vacations to private islands and go shopping, I had to get some time in with my dad. I hate my step-dad. He's so obnoxious and it's obvious he's just using my mom for her money. He stays home all day and plays golf with his skeezy friends. I've seen them check out my mom once or twice. That makes me sick.

     After getting no reply from anyone I decided to go out and explore this small, boring town.

     I got dressed and started walking. Since my mom didn't want me taking my car all the way to Alabama, I'm stuck either riding a bus or stealing some kid's bike. You know, like the poor people in the movies. Or I could just walk. The less money I spend on transportation, the more money I can spend on clothes. Sounds like the perfect idea to me.

     I began walking down some unidentified dirt road. Besides the person who lives in the same building as my dad, it's a pretty isolated area. Far back into the boondocks kind of thing. You go out and all you see is trees and dirt.

     Just how I wanted to spend my summer. 

     Not.

     I finally walked back into civilization and went to go get something to eat. Instead of going to the animal killer cafe, I decided to go to the local grocery store and buy some salad items.

     I decided to just go major grocery shopping for dad. It's obvious he is lacking food. Well non-expired food.

     I got a shopping cart full of food and decided it was time to check out. I walked over to the only available check out line and began putting my items on the conveyor belt.

"Well, look who it is. Miss Emma." I heard a familiar voice say.

     I turned around with a smirk on my face.

"And who are you again?" I answer with a smile on my face.

"How have you been?" Jeremy asked as he was ringing up prices for the food.

"Fine. I didn't know you worked here." 

"Only for the summer."

     I nodded and everything went silent. 

"Here's your bags Miss Emma. Need any help carrying them to your car?" Jeremy asked, bags in hand.

"Oh, I didn't bring my car to Alabama. I'm walking everywhere I go. Oh, and no thank you. I'm a strong girl." I said taking the bags from him and awkwardly started walking out of the grocery store. 

     A cucumber fell out of the bag and I tried to bend down to pick it up when both of my bags ripped and everything went everywhere.

     I looked up and saw Jeremy laughing.

"Can I help you now?" He asked.