Let Me Breathe Again (Lesbian Story) Ch. 19

To Hell And Back Again:

Holland’s Point Of View:

The very first thing I noticed was that I could barely move; I felt as if every muscle in my body was weak. I didn’t open my eyes as I recognized the familiar sound of a heart monitor beeping off to side somewhere. I could also feel that someone was indeed holding my hand, squeezing it every once in a while. I felt my brows crease as I attempted to open my eyes. The bright fluorescent lights blinded me, my eyes quickly closing. ‘Fucking Christ!’ I thought as my eyes were now burning. My nose scrunched in annoyance as the smell of bleach finally hit me in the face. I tried to lift my free hand, but, as I tried an incredible painful sensation crawled up my arm. My eyes shot open, ignoring the fact that I was practically blind as I screamed. I shot up in my bed, the person who had been holding my hand releasing me as I looked down at the offending pain. My left forearm as wrapped in tight gauze with a bright blood stain on the underbelly of it.

“Holland!” I heard Audrey’s voice say abruptly. I clenched my jaw tightly as I turned to look at her, moving my injured wrist slowly to rest on my lap as the pain was increasing. “How are you feeling?”

“That’s a very stupid question.” I snapped as I clenched my eyes closed as the pain racked my entire arm. I sighed as I looked back to her, her face wearing a frown as she was looking elsewhere. “I’m sorry… just…”

“You’re hurting.” She finished as she finally looked at me. I felt my face fall as her green eyes looked exhausted. As I took a look at her face, she had looked as if she had seen a ghost; her normally pale skin looked as if she had not one ounce of colour. As I studied her face, I found my eyes looked down to her arm where there was an I.V. in her arm… with blood in it? ‘What the fuck?!’ I thought to myself as I looked back at her face. “I have a simple question to ask you.” She spoke after a few moments. I tried to swallow, but the dryness of my throat was making that practically impossible at the moment. I looked at her with a frown on my face as I leaned back against the pillows. “Why did you do it?” I felt my eyes drift away from hers as they landed upon my injured arm; the memories of what I had done to myself making the guilt rise to a whole new level now.

“I don’t know…” My voice was barely audible. I could hear her sigh, obviously my answer was unacceptable. I turned my head back to her; her eyes looked heavy as she leaned against the chair, her arm extended outwards because of the I.V. “Why do you have an I.V. in your arm?”

Rey’s tired eyes looked into mine as she rolled her neck upwards. “To save your life.” My eyes widened at what she had said. I watched as she laughed somewhat before closing her eyes. “But, I guess that’s the last thing you want right now.” I felt my gut jolt as the guilt ripped through me even more. I watched as her jaw muscles bulged slightly as she couldn’t bring herself to look at me.

“I’m sorry….” I said as I looked away from her; a lone tear trailing down my cheek. “I was just so depressed…”

“So, you think after all the crap Joshua went through to even live a little, you were going to just end yours like that?” Her voice was sharp. “Look at me.” I frowned as I turned my head back towards hers. “You’re a bitch to do that!” She slammed her fist on the bed as I cringed. I watched as my Rey had tears streaming down her cheeks, her eyes looking at the ground as she attempted to wipe them away. I felt my heart tug at seeing her so miserable because of how stupid I was. “Do I mean nothing to you?”

“You mean everything to me.” I said honestly as I sat up, leaning on my good arm as I tried to catch her eyes with my own. “I love you…” I frowned as I felt myself crying now. Audrey laughed as she cried even more. She looked at me with a small smile, making me smile in return. She leaned forward, placing her free hand upon my cheek. The warmth of her skin touching my own made me shiver as my eyes closed. Her lips were pressed against my own for but a moment, but, it had felt like the most amazing kiss in the world now. Her teeth nibbled on my lower lip for a moment before she pulled away from me, her head leaning against my own.